Constipation can be described as a common digestive problem in which the abnormal movements of bowel usually occurs in the human body. This is varied with the individual as it can be mild or severe for some people. Constipation is considered an issue when one has less than three bowel movements in a week. It is characterized by incomplete bowels’ emptiness, bloating or straining to pass stool as normal. Constipation can also lead to erectile dysfunction in men. (Read Can Constipation cause erectile dysfunction? )
Recently, constipation is becoming an issue with almost everyone as a routine. However, the modern lifestyles, as well as unhealthy foods such junk foods, overeating, smoking,(Read Smoking and Erectile Dysfunction ) and alcohol abuse and much more, have been attributed to this problem. Some of the effects of this issue apart from the inability to pass stool are mood swings, abdominal swelling, worries, lack of interest in work, weight loss, ( Click here Weight Loss Ayurvedic Remedy ) and much more.
Constipation is sometimes considered as a symptom of different health conditions rather than a disease on its own. About 14 percent of India’s urban population has been recently found to be experiencing chronic constipation by a famous survey carried out by Global Marketing Research Agency. This has heightened the need to find a way to treat this problem naturally at home and promote overall health conditions. Before that, let’s quickly look at the causes of constipation.
Causes of Constipation
The digestive system is a process that involves the GI tract, an array of hollow organs that run from mouth to the anus, and they are responsible for waste removal and nutrients absorption. The bowel or large intestine in the lower GI tract contains rectum and colon that absorb water directly from the digested food and transforms it from a liquid to solid known as a stool.
However, if digested food stays for a longer period in the colon, it results in constipation where the colon absorbs excess water, making your stool dry and hard; thereby rectal muscles find it difficult to push the stool out of the body. Below are some of the factors that can cause constipation: (Read Constipation An Ayurveda View )
- Insufficient fluid intake
- Inadequate fiber in the diet
- Some medications such as painkillers, antidepressants, antispasmodics, iron supplement, certain antacids, anticonvulsants, Parkinson’s disease drugs, and much more.
- Unhealthy bowel habits such as ignoring the urge to pass stool
- Too much of laxative or using of enemas
- Lack of physical exercise
- GI tract disorders such as tumors, celiac disease, irritable bowel syndrome, colon polyps, and much more
Top 10 Nature Remedies for Constipation
Constipation is simply a problem with known issue and cause. It can be easily relieved before its occurrence. For its prevention and treatment, you can effectively save cost and time by employing natural remedies below:
- Water: Apart from efficient digestion, water (Read Benefits of Boiled water ) or keeping the body hydrated has been researched to help muscle function and overall health of the body. When your body is supplied with sufficient water, nutrients can be easily processed by the digestive system and body wastes can move smoothly to the right position. Drinking amount of water in ounces as half of your overall body weight has been recommended by the specialist to help keep your body hydrated every day. Bowel muscles perform efficiently with the presence of enough of water to keep things moving and smoothly.
- Warm Jeera water: Cumin seeds or Jeera (read Health Benefits of cumin Seeds ) when boiled with warm water, provide an excellent remedy for constipation. Boil 2 tea spoons of jeera in a liter of water. Store this water in a thermos flask. Drink 1 glass of warm jeera water once in an hour. This helps in digestion and also ease bowel movement.
- Olive oil: It is nutrient-dense oil that helps stimulate and enhance the digestive tract. Olive oil makes the bowels slippery and at the same time offers antioxidant protection to the bowel. A tablespoon of olive oil before taking breakfast helps to achieve this.
- Pure Ghee: Pure ghee (Read Ayurvedic home remedies with ghee ) also acts as laxative. Stir 1 tea spoon of pure ghee in one glass of hot water. Drink this before going to bed. It softens the bowel and increases the motility of intestines.
- Coffee: Morning brew, coffee contains water, oil, and fibre and helps enhance free movement of bowels to stimulate digestion throughout the day. One or two cups can perform the magic. However, care must be taken as excessive caffeine can result in nervous symptoms. Do everything in moderation.
- Prunes and raisins: This is uncommon but has been proven effective for constipation. Prunes contain high fibre as well as sorbitol which is the carbohydrate that digests slowly in the bowels. These two nutrients in prunes absorb the required water along the intestines to dissolve fecal matter. Start with 2 to 3 prunes or 8 ounces glass of prune juice; allow it to work before taking another. Always take it in moderation. Raisins ( Read Raisins or dry grapes health benefits ) also help to relieve constipation. Soak fistful of raisins in water. Eat these soaked raisins early in morning. This helps to relieve constipation.
- Beans: A diet containing beans offers many benefits such as protein and fibre to repair and grow the body tissues. Beans are rich in high fibre to keep stool soft and free-flow through the anus. Beans are common foods and can be easily incorporated into the daily diet, unlike prunes. Horse Gram (Read Horse Gram Health Benefits in Weight loss-Diabetes-Low sperm count ) also known as Kulthi in hindi hurali in kannada, helps to ease the bowel movement.
- Probiotics: The strains of probiotic of Bifidobacterium and Lactobacillus promote healthy bowels which lead to easier excretion. Consumption of probiotics has been studied to help reduce digestive transit time, increased regular and better stool consistency. Curd (Read Medicinal properties of Curd- as explained in Ayurveda ) and buttermilk (read Butter milk –A healthy drink described in ayurveda ) are excellent probiotics. Regular use of these two help in easing the bowel movement.
- Herbs: When it comes to controlling constipation, fenugreek, psyllium or isabgol, and flax seed are commonly recommended to fight constipation. These herbs are categorized under bulk laxative and have been found helpful and easier on the stomach to fight constipation. Others are purgative herbs such as buckthorn, senna, and aloe. However, these herbs are only used for short-term remedy of constipation.
- Isabgol or psyllium: Isabgol is an excellent remedy for constipation. For children soak 1 tea spoon of isabgol in water and leave it overnight. Next day mix this with ¼ cup of butter milk and make them to drink. Repeat this twice daily. For adults the dosage will be 2 tea spoon twice daily.
- Exercise: A little and simple exercise after eating has been shown to help digestion and enhances muscle health. Pilates, walking,( Read Benefits of walking for men suffering from Impotence ) and yoga may assist the wastes movement along the intestinal tract for smooth evacuation. A brisk walk daily for 45 minutes helps in a great way to set right the bowel movement.
- Warm water and baking soda: This mixture has been used over the time to relieve pressure and pain connected with constipation. A teaspoon of baking soda mixed with ¼ of warm water is believed to minimize the discomfort symptoms associated with constipation and heartburn.
- Magnesium-rich foods: Insufficient of magnesium in the diet has been linked with some cases of constipation. Magnesium is important for smooth food movement along the digestive tract as well as muscle health. Eating leafy vegetables such as nuts, spinach, and much more foods that are high in magnesium ensure adequate water in the bowels; thereby keeping the stool soft for an easier bowel movement.
Many people keep constipation to themselves, while some people unusually enjoy it because it keeps them away from the toilet. This is dangerous for their health as it can affect their overall body functioning. Why causing an unnecessary problem to your health when constipation can be naturally treated with above home remedies? Little lifestyle changes and diet will do. Try it today and thank me later.