Curative properties of Kushmanda (Benincasa Hispida) or ash gourd
medicinal plants > Curative properties of Kushmanda (Benincasa
Hispida) or ash gourd
Curative properties of Kushmanda (Benincasa Hispida)
Kushmanada belongs to the family of Cucurbitaceae. Its
botanical name is Benincasa Hispida . It is also known as ash
gourd or wax gourd. This plant trails on ground and has hairy
leaves. The young fruit is hairy. The fruit loses it
gets a waxy coat when matures. The length of matured fruit will
be 1-1.5 ft . This plant is cultivated in south East Asia .The
seeds of this fruit are flat and white in colour.
Fruits of this plant are widely used for cooking in India, Pakistan and China. Many delectable dishes like peta, (a sweet dish), soups and curries are prepared by this fruit.
According to texts of ayurveda this fruit is very light to digest
and sweet to taste. It cools the body and acts as a
Health benefits of ash gourd
- Matured fruit balances all three doshas.
- Its pulp can be applied on burns and skin rashes. This reduces burning sensation and irritation.
- The juice of leaves help to reduce irritation caused by dry skin.
- The seeds help to reduce internal heat of body in summer.
- Ash gourd normalizes sleeping pattern and very helpful in patients with insomnia.
- It also increases memory power.
- The seeds of ash gourd are very effective on intestinal parasites.
- Patients affected by tuberculosis of lungs are benefited by the use of this fruit. It strengthens the lungs and body.
- It helps in cystitis and acts as diuretic.
- The pulp and seeds are very useful in kidney stones.
- The pulp of the matured fruit helps to increase quality and quantity of semen. Hence it is used in Vajikarana preparations.
- The herbal preparations of this fruit help to increase the body energy level and strength.
- Kushmanda helps persons who are recuperating from illness to gain back their lost energy and nutrients.
This article is copyrighted. This article is copy righted. The author Dr.SavithaSuri is an Ayurvedic Physician and web master of http://www.ayurhelp.com .