Ayurveda description of Kumkuma- Saffron -Crocus sativus
medicinal plants > Medicinal Properties of Safed Musli
or Shweta Musli (Asperagus Adscendens)
Medicinal Properties of Safed Musli or Shweta Musli (Asperagus Adscendens)
The plant safed musli belongs to family Liliaceae. It is a tall
evergreen thorny shrub grown in western India. Its rhizomes are
used for medicinal purposes in ayurveda.
Ayurvedic texts list musli under vrishyadi varga (plants which are aphrodisiac).
“Mushali madhura vrishya veeryoshna brihmani guruhu|
Tiktha rasaayanee hanthi gudajanya anilam tatha||”
The rhizomes of musli have the following qualities
- It is heavy to digest and contains lot of moistness. It tastes sweet and the sweetness remains till it is digested. It acts as a coolant.
- It increases kapha and normalizes vitiated pitta and vata.
Uses of musli:
• Its very effective in diseases which arise due to vitiation of vata and pitta .
• Ayurvedic texts commend this herb as “Shukrala”, which means the herb which increases quality and quantity of semen.
• It is recommended for men who suffer from low sperm count and low sperm motility.
• This plant is widely used in preparations to rectify impotence and erectile dysfunction.
• As it has cooling properties, it is widely used in urinary tract infections .
• The preparations of musli strengthen the body and increase body weight.
This article is copyrighted. This article is copy righted. The author Dr.SavithaSuri is an Ayurvedic Physician and web master of http://www.ayurhelp.com .
- Safed Musli or Shweta musli (Asperagus Adscendens)
- Medicinal properties of Safed Musli
- Black Musli (Curculigo orchioides)