According to ayurveda the properties of curd are described as follows.
1. The curd is sour (amla) to taste.
2. It absorbs water from intestines (hence called as Grahi). By the virtue of this property it is widely used to treat diarrhea and dysentery.
3. It causes heaviness when used in excess and may cause constipation.
4. It mitigates vata dosha, increases kapha and pitta. Curd should not be used in diseases where blood is vitiated by doshas.
5. Regular consumption of this in pure form increases body fat and may cause obesity.