Causes of Insomnia:
1. Psychological causes like Depression, anxiety, stress etc
2. Medications like steroids, diuretics, blood pressure medications etc.
3. Diseases like asthma, cancer, persistent body pain etc.
4. Sleep disorders like sleep apnea
According to ayurveda Insomnia is caused due to fear, anxiety, anger, over exertion (physical and psychological) , fasting, uncomfortable bed, diseases like colic pain etc. Panchakarma which has not been performed methodically may also lead to insomnia. Vitiated vata causes sleeplessness.
Effects of Insomnia:
Inadequate sleep causes
2. Lowered energy levels
3. Delayed reflexes.
4. Ability to learn, remember and concentrate are affected
5. Mood swings
7. Erectile dysfunction
8. Increased blood pressure
9. Cardiac risks etc.
10. Dark circles under eyes
11. Dry skin
12. Appearance of wrinkles on skin.
13. Hair loss