Texts of ayurveda recommend various natural home remedies for diabetes. These ayurvedic formulations include fenugreek or methi, amla, turmeric or haldi, bitter gourd or karela, neem leaves , neem flowers etc as ingredients.
Table of contents
Diabetes in Ayurveda and Its Remedies
Diabetes is a metabolic disorder which is affecting people globally. The factors which influence the incidence of this disease may be hidden in genes (genetic factor), race (ethnical), diet, lifestyle, etc. Incidences of diabetes are increasing at an alarming rate in developing countries. India has the highest number of diabetic people in the world. Uncontrolled diabetes affects almost all organs of body like skin, nerve endings, eyes, kidneys, heart etc. This disease commonly causes erectile dysfunction, low sperm count, loss of sensation in skin, loss of hearing, loss of vision and many other health complications.
This disease has been explained very well in texts of Indian ancient medical science, Ayurveda. Its etiology, pathology and remedies are very well described by our Acharyas. They specifically mention that diabetes cannot be completely cured. But they recommend many valuable natural remedies which are of great aid to keep this disease under control. These home remedies are of great help to prevent fluctuation of blood sugar level. Here goes the list of easy remedies and lifestyles to keep diabetes under control.
Neem leaves for Diabetes
The fluctuating blood sugar levels can be kept under control by chewing 5-6 fresh neem leaves daily in empty stomach. If fresh neem leaves are not available, dried neem leaves’ powder can be consumed with water. Mix ½ tea spoon of neem powder in ½ cup of water. Consume this daily in early morning.
Soak 2 tea spoons of fresh neem flower in ¼ cup of water and leave it overnight. Next day blend this in a mixer and consume in empty stomach.
Mango Leaves for diabetes
Boil 2-3 clean tender mango leaves in ½ cup of water. Allow this to stand overnight. Next day discard the leaves and drink the water in empty stomach.
Ladies finger or Okra as diabetes ayurvedic remedy
Ladies finger or okra helps to stabilize blood sugar by reducing the rate at which sugar is absorbed from intestinal tract. It can be added in your diet. Cut 1-2 medium sized ladies finger into longitudinal pieces. Soak them in a cup of water and leave it overnight. Next morning discard the okra pieces and drink the water before consuming food.
Bitter gourd for diabetes
The chemicals in bitter gourd or karela are known to reduce blood sugar level. They aid in glucose metabolism. The effective home remedy for diabetes is to consume bitter gourd juice every morning in empty stomach.
Fenugreek seeds or methi for diabetes:
These seeds contain a chemical trigonelline, which is said to reduce blood sugar level. Methi seeds can be used in two ways. Allow these seeds to sprout. Chew 1 tea spoon of these sprouts in morning and evening before consuming food. Another way of consuming fenugreek is to prepare powder of its seeds and mix 2 tea spoons of this powder in a cup of water. Consume this in empty stomach two times daily.
Jambu seeds (jamun)
Collect seeds of jambu (jamun) fruit. Dry them in sun. Powder these seeds and store the powder in an air tight container. Mix 1 tea spoon of this powder in half cup of water and consume in empty stomach. This reduces frequency of urination.
Amla and Turmeric for Diabetes
Blend amla and turmeric powders in ratio of 4:1 (4 parts of amla with 1 part of turmeric or haldi). Take a tea spoon of this mixture with a glass of water in early morning. Or mix a pinch of turmeric, 4 tea spoons of amla juice and ¼ cup of water and consume as mentioned above.
“Avyayama” or not exerting physically is the main cause for diabetes. Moderate exercises help to keep obesity away. Vyayama ( exercises) help to increase the insulin sensitivity of body cells. It also helps to burn out excess fat and glucose. The compounded effect of exercising is less glucose in blood. The best exercise is brisk walking for 30 minutes. Do not forget to include activities like gardening, climbing stairs, outdoor games, house hold works etc in your daily routine.
Keep mental and physical stress at bay
stress makes body to release harmful hormones. These hormones raise the blood sugar level. The stress can be kept at bay by practicing yoga and meditation. Regular exercises, listening to music and engaging in some good hobbies are best methods to reduce stress.
Scientists have found that smoking can be an independent risk factor for diabetes. It increases the risk of complications which arise due to diabetes. Complications like heart diseases, stroke, circulation impairment, kidney problems etc may get very quickly aggravated due to smoking. Smoking can also lead to erectile dysfunction while suffering from diabetes.
Be regular with your medications. Consult your family physician once in three months and get your blood sugar level checked frequently.
Proper Foot care in Diabetes
Diabetes affects blood circulation and also causes diabetic neuropathy which damages nerves. These two conditions lead to complications with the lower extremities in diabetic patients. It is very important for diabetic patients to take care of their foot. In diabetic patients foot wounds and ulcers can then lead to amputation if they cannot be resolved.
Here are few important tips for diabetes mellitus patients to take care of diabetic foot
- Inspect your foot daily. Look and feel for any signs of injury, redness, swelling, bad odour, bruising etc. It is always advisable to undergo a professional foot exam once in a year. Physician will exam your feet for any injuries or foot problems.
- It is necessary to wash your feet daily in lukewarm water. A diabetic patient will not be able to judge the temperature of water due to loss of sensation in feet. Hence test water with hand or wrist before placing feet into it. When feet are well soaked rub heels with pumice stone to remove dead skin. Never try to remove calluses and corns with sharp objects or chemicals.
- Dry the foot thoroughly to remove water. Use a soft cotton cloth for this. Apply moisturizer or petroleum jelly all over feet except between toes. Because increased moisture between toes leads to fungal infection.
- Dust talcum powder between toes to prevent accumulation of moisture.
- Do not walk around with barefoot as it increases injuries. Use soft slippers even when you walk in home. Wear comfortable slippers or shoes. Check inside of shoes for pebbles or sand before wearing them.
- Wear comfortable thin cotton socks. Cotton socks absorb sweat and do not cause skin irritation. Do not wear tight elastic banded socks as they hamper blood circulation.
- Quit smoking as smoking exaggerates circulation problems.
- Take care to keep your blood sugar under control.
- Get your blood sugar checked once in three months.
· Follow the above mentioned diabetic foot care tips for a healthy foot in diabetes mellitus.
Dry Skin in Diabetes
Diabetes patients usually experience dry skin. Other skin problems like eczema, psoriasis, fungal infections etc exaggerate when diabetes sets in. Dry skin is common in diabetic people due to following reasons
- Poor blood circulation to skin
- High glucose level in blood.
- Renewal of body tissues get stunted or delayed due to high glucose level.
- Activity of sweat glands becomes slow due to poor blood circulation.
The dry skin is more prominent on legs, feet and elbows. This results in cracking, fungal or bacterial infections. These conditions are very difficult to treat. Hence diabetes patients have to take utmost care of their skin.
Precautions to be taken to prevent dry skin in diabetes
- Keep blood glucose level under control.
- Avoid repeated bathing as it washes of natural oils of skin.
- Consume foods which are rich in Vitamin A and B.
- Avoid repeated usage of medicines like antihistamines, antispasmodics, diuretics.
- Regularly apply a good moisturizing lotion which does not contain alcohol.
- Bathe in luke warm water.
- Use mild soaps which contain hydrating agents or Use ayurvedic body scrub.
- Use humidifier at home.
Call us at +91 9945995660 / +91 9448433911
Whats App + 91 6360108663/