Urad dal or black gram is recommended to increase body weight (weight Gain) , strength and sperm count
Table of Content
Urad dal or Black gram Recipes in Ayurveda
Urad dal or black gram also known as Masha in Sanskrit is widely used in Indian cuisine. This herb is used as main ingredient in various ayurvedic preparations. Ayurveda acharyas eulogise medicinal properties of Black gram as follows.
This pulse is sweet to taste (madhura rasa ) and heavy to digest (guru). Black gram has hot potency (ushna veerya) . It improves the moistness of tissues (snigdha) and increases the body bulk (brumhaneeya) . It pacifies vata dosha . Black gram is praised as “shukrala” by ayurveda acharyas. “shukrala” means it strengthens and increases shukra dhatu. Urad dal boosts sperm count , sperm motility and is a best ayurvedic remedy for erectile dysfunction.
Here are few easy recipes of urad dal or black gram which help in various health conditions like underweight, Oligospermia ( low sperm count ) (Oligospermia-Natural Ayurvedic Treatment in India) , Erectile dysfunction and Premature Ejaculation (Ayurvedic Treatment for Erectile Dysfunction and Premature Ejaculation), lowered body strength and constipation (Can Constipation Cause Erectile Dysfunction ?).
Masha Yusha : (Black gram or urad dal soup).
The medicinal properties of this recipe is explained by Acharya Charaka as follows. (Check another variant Black Gram (Urad Dal) Soup recipe-an aphrodisiac preparation)
- Black gram or whole urad with husk – 1 cup
- Water – 4 cups
- Black pepper corn – 6-7
- Jeera powder or cumin seed powder (Ayurveda Health Benefits of Jeera or Cumin Seeds) – 1 tea spoon
- Dried Long pepper (Vajikarana Milk With Long Pepper -An Ayurvedic Vajikarana Food) – 3-4
- Dry ginger (Ayurveda Health Benefits of Ginger) powder – ¼ spoon
- Rock salt or sendha namak (Ayurveda Health benefits of Rock salt or Sendha namak) – 1 tea spoon
- Ghee (Ayurveda Health Benefits and Uses of Ghee) – 1 tea spoon
Soak 1 cup of whole black gram or urad in water for 4 hours. Cook it in sufficient water (around 4 cups) until it becomes soft. Add crushed black pepper, cumin seeds powder, crushed long pepper powder, dry ginger power and rock salt and then mix well. Serve hot with a tea spoon of ghee and enjoy your soup. This can be eaten along with hot rice and ghee.
This recipe helps to boost sexual function and is a best ayurvedic remedy for erectile dysfunction in diabetes (Natural Ayurvedic Remedies for Erectile Dysfunction in Diabetes) as it does not contain any sugar. It also increases sperm count (Male Infertility – Ayurvedic Ways to Increase Sperm Count and Motility) in diabetic patients. This soup is recommended for men who undergo Ayurveda Vajikarana Therapy
Black Gram Milk Mix Recipe:
- Whole Black gram with husk – 1 cup
- Almonds (Ayurveda Health Benefits of Almonds) – 10 in number
- Cashew – 10 in number
- Walnuts (Walnuts for Erectile Dysfunction, Sperm and PCOS- Ayurveda View) – 10 in number
- Cardamom (Ayurveda Health Benefits of Cardamom in Weight Loss and PCOS) powder – ½ tea spoon
- Ghee – 2 tea spoon
Heat a woke or kadahi on stove. Add 1 tea spoon of ghee and fry black gram until it emits fragrance. Transfer this fried gram into a plate. Now add one more tea spoon of ghee to woke and fry dry fruits one by one till they become golden brown. Transfer this to the same plate. Allow these ingredients to cool. Blend these in a mixer along with cardamom powder. Store this powder in an airtight container. Mix 2 tea spoon of this powder to a glass of warm milk (Magnificent Milk – An Ayurveda View) and drink daily twice. This recipe is very helpful in erectile dysfunction and low sperm count due to diabetes (Low Sperm Count and Semen Volume in Diabetes – Ayurvedic Treatment). This can be considered as home made recipe for Erectile Dysfunction.
Non diabetic patients, to enhance body strength and gain body weight (Brimhana Therapy an Ayurveda Way to Gain Weight), can add sugar and ghee to the above said milk preparation.
Maha Masha Taila:
Maha masha taila is an oil preparation which contains masha or urad dal as main ingredient. This oil is used in treatment of Paralysis, Palsy, deafness, tinnitus, to relieve stiffness and pain in locked jaw, headache (Ayurvedic Home Remedies for Headaches), eye (Ayurvedic Eye Care-Home Remedies for Dry Eyes , Eye Infection and Dark Circles,) diseases, and migraine. This oil is used for body massage (Manifold Wonders of Massage Therapy – In Ayurveda), nasya, shirodhara and other panchakarma treatments (Ayurveda Panchakarma Treatment – A Detoxification Therapy) to boost the strength of nerves and muscles.
Black Gram (Urad Dal) Soup recipe-an aphrodisiac preparation
- Black gram or urad dal – 1 cup
- Water – 2 ½ cups
- Olive oil or ghee – ½ table spoon
- Cumin seeds – ½ tea spoon
- Crushed pepper corns – 5-10
- Curry leaves – 10 in number
- Coriander leaves – 1 table spoon finely chopped
- Onion (Ayurveda Health Benefits of Onion)– one medium sized finely chopped
- Garlic (Health Benefits of Garlic in Ayurveda) – 1 clove
- Asafoetida or hing (Health Benefits and Uses of Asafoetida or Hing According to Ayurveda) – 1 pinch
- Turmeric (Ayurveda Health Benefits of Turmeric (Haldi)) – 1 pinch
- Rock salt or sendha namak– according to taste.
Wash urad dal and pressure cook with water till it becomes tender. Heat oil or ghee in a wok and add cumin seeds. When these seeds splutter add crushed pepper corns, curry leaves, garlic, onions and turmeric. Fry them well till onion becomes transparent. Add cooked urad dal and salt. Stir well and garnish with coriander leaves.
Black gram or Urad dal is known as Masha. This pulse is widely used in ayurvedic Vajikarana Therapy. It rejuvenates complete body and helps to gain weight. Texts of ayurveda eulogize the aphrodisiac properties of black gram. It increases sperm count and sperm motility. It is the best herb for erectile dysfunction. Consumption of this pulse increases quality and quantity of milk in lactating mothers. Urad dal increases bulk of fecal matter and relieves constipation.
- Persons who have tendency to gain weight or already have problem of obesity (Ayurvedic Herbs, Medicine and Treatment for Obesity) should not consume this frequently. This soup may increase the problems of digestive system like indigestion (Ayurvedic Treatments and Home Remedies for Indigestion), acidity, bloating or flatulence.
- This soup should not be consumed with fish, yogurt , cheese or brinjal. These form opposite food combination and may initiate accumulation of toxins (Ayurvedic Liver Detox at Home) in body.
Ayurveda emphasizes on healthy diet and lifestyle to maintain normal body functions. Numerous causes like stress (Stress and Erectile dysfunction or Impotence), unhealthy diet, reduced nutrition and sedentary lifestyles accelerate degenerative process in body.
Ayurveda acharyas recommend many “Yogas” or healthy recipes to nourish tissues and slow down degenerative changes. Various recipes have been mentioned to rejuvenate male reproductive system and increase the sexual energy level. These preparations are known as vajikarana yogas or vajikarana foods or aphrodisiac preparations.
In ashtanga hridaya acharya vagbhata recommends a recipe to increase sexual performance. Regular consumption of this preparations helps to overcome men health condition like erectile dysfunction, low libido (Ayurvedic Treatment to Increase Male Libido) and to increase quality and quantity of semen or shukra dhatu.
Aphrodisiac Black gram mix Ingredients
Black gram powder (Vigna mungo-urad dal) – 2 tea spoons
Juice of Amla (Emblica officinalis or Indian gooseberry) (Ayurveda Medicinal Properties and Uses of Amla) – 4 tea spoon
Honey (Ayurveda Health Benefits and Uses of Honey) – 1 spoon
Ghee – ¼ spoon
Mix all the ingredients and consume it. Drink a glass of warm milk (Magnificent Milk – An Ayurveda View) after 15 minutes.
Powder of Vidari kanda (Ayurveda Benefits and Uses of Vidarikanda or Pueraria Tuberosa / Indian Kudzu) can be used instead of black gram powder.
Whats App or email Dr.Savitha Suri @ [email protected], + 91 6360108663/ to know more about ayurvedic treatment for erectile dysfunction and low sperm count
Author : Dr. Savitha Suri Consultant Ayurvedic Physician
Free Ayurvedic Consultation
Call us at +91 9945995660 / +91 9448433911
Whats App + 91 6360108663/