Introduction to acne
Acne is a very common skin problem. In this skin condition pimple, blackheads, whiteheads appear on face, neck, shoulder, arm and back. Acne can appear at any age from 15 years to 50 years. Texts of ayurveda refer acne as youvana pitika. Ayurveda acharyas mention kapha and vata as causative doshas.
Causes of Acne
Following three major causes lead to acne breakouts.
- Increased secretion of oil from oil glands of skin.
- Blockage of hair follicles which release the oil from skin’s oil glands.
- Proliferation of bacteria within hair follicles.
How a good diet helps to control acne.
As the Father of Medicine; Hippocrates once stated: “Let your foods be your medicine, and your medicine your food”. “You are what you eat!” is a saying known all over the world, and what you consume has effect on your overall health.
A healthy diet aids normal secretion of oil from oil glands of skin. It boosts immunity of skin to prevent proliferation of micro organisms. A nutritious diet prevents excess secretion of oil and blockage of pores.
Acne diet: Many acne sufferers have found immense benefits after following a healthy diet. Here are tips for healthy acne diet. An ayurveda acne diet is formulated particularly focusing on alleviation of kapha and vata.
- Avoid junk foods. – Junk foods provide zero nutrition and add high calories through harmful fats and sugars. The harmful ingredients of junk foods cannot be eliminated by body and they remain as toxins affecting body organs including skin.
- Keep sweets and chocolates at bay – Sweets and chocolates are very high in calories. Increased calories increase oil secretion. People experience acne out breaks when they consume high calorie foods.
- Drink plenty of water- water helps to maintain fluid -electrolyte balance in body. Fluid electrolyte balance plays a great role in aiding absorption of nutrients and elimination of waste. Any variation in this balance may lead to accumulation of toxins or less absorption of nutrients.
- Go veggie – Include plenty of fresh vegetables and fruits in diet. These provide essential vitamins and minerals which keep skin healthy. Numerous researches have shown that Vitamin A and Zinc play an important role in controlling acne eruptions. Fresh fruits and Vegetables provide soluble and insoluble fibers which help in smooth bowel movement and prevent constipation.
- Sprouts and cereals- Sprouts and cereals provide good quantity of protein. Vegetarian proteins are easily digested and few medical professional opine that proteins help to control acne.
- Maintain a dairy to note down the foods which repeatedly cause acne breakouts whenever they are consumed.
Apart from healthy diet, incorporate healthy lifestyles in daily routine. Regular exercises, pranayama, yoga, meditation etc help to reduce stress level and prevent insomnia (sleeplessness). Lowered stress and good sleep help to keep the skin healthy and increase its immunity level.