Cholesterol level in blood get imbalanced when there is an imbalance in agni (digestion power) and formation of ama (body toxin). Ayurveda has several remedies to reduce blood cholesterol level
Table of content
What is cholesterol ?
Cholesterol is a fatty substance found in our body. It is a steroid and an alcohol found in the body tissues and blood plasma of vertebrates. Cholesterol is produced by liver and also derived from diet. But cholesterol produced from liver is important as it strengthens cell membrane, helps in production of hormone and vitamin D. The cholesterol in blood stream, which blocks arteries, comes from diet.
Effects of high cholesterol in blood
High cholesterol in the blood is considered to be unhealthy . Increased cholesterol gets accumulated on walls of arteries as hard plaques. This narrows the lumen of arteries (Diameter of the arteries reduces. ) and interferes with the flow of blood. Due to reduced diameter the blood flow through arteries also gets reduced.
Recent researches have revealed that increased protein complexes of cholesterol, called lipoproteins are responsible for the cholesterol build-up in the blood vessels. Elevated levels of bad cholesterol or low density lipoprotein or LDL, are responsible for heart disease. Increased cholesterol can also cause erectile dysfunction.
When the cholesterol level increases in blood, doctors advice cholesterol lowering medications. But these medications have several side effects. Researches have shown that these medications affect liver, nervous system, kidney and muscles. They may also cause erectile dysfunction, insomnia, constipation, diarrhea, mental confusion etc. Persons who are on these medications may experience muscle weakness, cramps, inability to walk and tingling sensation in legs. This is a heavy price which has to be paid for leading an unhealthy lifestyle. Anti cholesterol medications can be avoided by following a healthy diet and exercise routine.
Cholesterol in ayurveda
Cholesterol level in blood get imbalanced when there is an imbalance in agni (digestion power) and formation of ama (body toxin).
Ayurveda acharyas have said that increased kapha dosha and medha dhatu (body fat) cause almost all diseases that are caused by increased cholesterol. Increased kapha and medhas obstruct the body channels called srotas. Hence they advise the diet to reduce kapha and medas to avoid these diseases.
Measurement of Cholesterol
There are four types of cholesterol which are measured in milligrams per deciliter of blood (mg/dl). The body cholesterol level can be found through “Lipid Profile”
Total blood cholesterol –
This measurement includes lipids in blood stream. ( LDL + HDL+ triglycerides and other fat particles). The normal value of total cholesterol must be less than 200 mg/dL
HDL (High Density Lipo protein) –
This is a good cholesterol and helps to prevent atherosclerosis and prevents deposition of fat inside arteries. The normal value of HDL must be greater than 60 mg/dL
LDL (low-density lipoprotein)–
This cholesterol is also known as bad cholesterol and this is an important risk factor for heart disease .The LDL level should be lower than 160 mg/dL
These are used by our body for energy. But a high level of triglycerides leads to heart disease. The normal value of triglycerides must be less than 150 mg/dL
Health risks of increased cholesterol
Here is a list of health risks which , a high blood cholesterol level may pose.
Coronary heart disease
High blood pressure
Heart arrhythmias — an irregular heart rhythm
Transient ischemic attack (TIA, or mini-stroke)
Peripheral artery disease.
Ayurvedic Tips to Reduce Cholesterol
Ayurveda has several remedies to reduce blood cholesterol level
- Sweets, refined flours, red meat, animal fat and vegetable fats increase kapha and medhas. Hence these foods have to be consumed in less quantity.
- Bitter foods like bitter gourd (karela) , methi (fenu greek seeds and leaves) etc should be included in diet.
- Ayurveda acharyas recommend fasting in regular intervals of time. This helps to cleanse the body and also clear the channels.
- Vyayama or exercises have to be included in daily routine. Exercises like brisk walking, jogging and swimming are best forms of exercises.
- Texts of ayurveda eulogize the importance of dietary fibers in reducing kapha. They recommend to add bulk in diet through dietary fibers which becomes heavy to digest and stay for a long time in stomach thus avoiding hunger pangs. Including protein foods like urad dal or black gram, horse gram, soybean, etc help to reduce cholesterol.
- Try to prepare recipes with less fat and do not forget to add garlic and spices as much as possible. Garlic and spices help in fat metabolism.
- Spices like cumin seeds (jeera), turmeric (haldi), cinnamon, cardamom, black cardamom, fenugreek seeds (methi), ginger, long pepper help to increase fat metabolism
- Fruits and vegetables like apple, grapes, pomegranate, watermelon, drum sticks or moringa, cucumber , lady finger or okra etc help to reduce blood cholesterol.
- Follow dinacharya (ayurvedic daily routine) and rutucharya (ayurvedic seasonal routine)
Other General Tips to reduce cholesterol
Here is the list of foods which help to reduce cholesterol. Judicious use of these foods definitely help to reduce cholesterol
- Include LEAN MEATS in diet. Lean meat of chicken, turkey and fish are low in cholesterol. These are rich in protein, vitamins, minerals, and micronutrients that are excellent for a person’s metabolism as well as in fighting off bad cholesterol.
- Consider including good quantity of VEGETABLES in your diet. They are low in calories and high in dietary fibers. Dietary fibers help to reduce cholesterol. Vegetables are excellent sources of minerals and vitamins such as vitamins C, E and K, vitamin B-complex, and other micronutrients that reduce vitamin deficiency. They help to reduce heart diseases, high blood pressure and cancer.
- Let WHOLE GRAINS be part of your diet. Grains supply good amount of energy and also supply dietary fibers. Whole grains are also known as effective in controlling weight. Aside from whole grains, breads, beans, potatoes, pasta, and cereals can also help lower cholesterol levels.
- Make it compulsory to have 3-4 servings of FRUITS. Just like vegetables, fruits are also among the top food groups that lower cholesterol because they are very low in calorie content. These also contain large amounts of significant vitamins and nutrients that help prevent of vitamin deficiency as well as other illnesses
- LEGUMES AND PULSES should be an inseparable part of your diet. These supply fiber, proteins and plenty of vitamins.
- Exercise regularly. A 30 minutes work out in gym or 45 minutes of brisk walk are considered as ideal exercises to reduce weight and also cholesterol level.
- Avoid fast foods which are rich in oil and sugar.
Keep cholesterol rich foods at bay to keep your body and heart healthy.
(Whats App Dr.Savitha Suri @+ 91 6360108663/ to know more about ayurvedic treatment for increased blood cholesterol )
Author : Dr. Savitha Suri Consultant Ayurvedic Physician
Free Ayurvedic Consultation
Call us at +91 9945995660 / +91 9448433911
Whats App + 91 6360108663/