Formation of majja dhatu
“Karoti tatra sousheeryam astinaam madhye sameeranah
medasas taani poorayante sneho majja tatah smritah “
During the formation of asthi dhatu or bone, vayu bhuta (one of 5 basic elements or pancha mahabhuta) creates spaces in bones. These spaces are filled with nourishing tissues of medha or fat which help in formation of majja or bone marrow.
Functions of majja dhatu:
“Majja sneham balam shukra pushtim pooranam astinaamcha karoti “
It nourishes body and helps to maintain its functions. Majja dhatu strengthens body, fills bones and nourishes shukra dhatu (semen ).
Majja Vriddhi lakshana ( Symptoms of increased majja dhatu )
1. Netra gaurava – feeling of heaviness in eyes
2. Anga gourava – feeling of heaviness of body
3. Parwa stoulya – clubbing of fingers
Majja Kshaya Lakshana ( Symptoms of decreased majja dhatu )
1. Asthi sousheerya (osteoporosis)
2. Bhrama (vertigo)
3. Timira darshana ( blurring of vision)