An effective PCOS diet plan in Ayurveda can be easily adopted to fight this condition. This ayurvedic diet for PCOS contains morning drink and breakfast plan which help in weight loss and regularising menstrual cycle. Let us take a look at this diet plan based on principles of Ayurveda.
According Ayurveda the cause of pcos can be explained as follows.
Any imbalance in shukra dhatu can cause infertility in men and women. The ratio of composition of shukra dhatu is different for both genders. When doshas vitiate shukra dhatu in women the granthis (cysts) appear in andashaya or ovaries.
The main aim of this ayurvedic pcos diet is to balance doshas and normalise shukra dhatu in women who suffer from PCOS. This diet helps body to accelerate fat metabolism to reduce weight, makes body cells sensitive to insulin and balance the hormones. Through this diet, vata and pitta dosha get balanced and kapha dosha get normalised.
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome Ayurvedic Diet
Morning Ayurveda Drink for PCOS
Here are few morning drink recipes for pcos which help in fat loss, reduce inflammation and also help to normalise blood sugar level.
Consume Triphala Water in morning: Triphala powder which is made of Haritaki, Vibhitaki and amalaki is available in market. Boil a tea spoon of triphala powder in a glass of water for 2 minutes. Strain this to get triphala water. Allow it to warm down. Add a tea spoon of honey when it is warm and drink this as first thing in morning. Triphala water helps in weight loss, reduces inflammation and detoxifies body. Caution: Do not add honey to hot water. (Read ayurvedic rejuvenating drinks )
Lemon Water: Warm a glass of water and squeeze half lime to it. If you are not a diabetic you can add a tea spoon of honey to it. Drink this in morning in empty stomach. It detoxifies your body and also makes you feel fresh. (Read Lemon and honey for weight loss )
Breakfast Plan for PCOS:
Use whole wheat, brown rice, oats, sorghum or jawar, ragi and other minor millets to prepare breakfast. Make your breakfast, the first meal of the day , more colourful by adding vegetables. Onion , tomato , garlic , ginger , cilantro, curry leaves, beans, pepper, long pepper, carrots , broccoli are excellent choice. Drink a glass of fresh fruit juice without sugar along with your breakfast. Water melon , sweet lime, oranges, pomegranate are best choice. These contain plenty of antioxidants and vitamin C which help in iron absorption and also eliminate free radicals.
Mid-morning snack : (a small snack between breakfast and lunch):
Eat a small bowl of any fruit (200 gms) like pomegranate, apple , orange, papaya , etc which are low in glycaemic index. Avoid sapota, banana, sitaphal or custard apple. If you are not able to eat this drink a glass of buttermilk or fresh fruit juice without sugar. Even few dry fruits like almonds, walnuts, and raisins can be eaten as mid-morning snack. Pick 7 to 8 numbers of each of these dry fruits and eat.
Lunch Plan for PCOS:
Include rotis made of whole cereals or brown rice (unpolished rice) or black rice or oats or ragi as your main carbohydrate source. Include a cup of cooked Lentils or Dal made of tuvar, masoor , moong or urad etc. Even cooked beans are very good choice. Lentils and beans are main source of protein for vegetarians. Hence dishes made out of these find a prominent place in vegetarian diet for PCOS. A plate of fresh vegetable salad and a cup of curd or yogurt should also be added to increase the nutrition value of lunch.
Evening Tea in PCOS :
Dinner Plan for PCOS: Let the dinner be light. Finish your dinner before 8.00pm. Eat soft carbohydrate like rice , softly cooked pulses and vegetables. Dinner should not be heavy or oily. Drink a glass of warm turmeric milk without sugar before going to bed.
Few important facts to be considered while planning your diet for PCOS
- Strictly say no for all purpose flour or maida, sugar and deep fried foods.
- Shun all bakery foods and fast foods. Never add them in your diet.
- Never use processed foods like jam, ketchup and sauce.
- Drink plenty of water (around 3 liters per day)
- If you area a non-vegetarian keep chicken, egg and beef at bay.
- Use fresh water fish (not as fried but in curry or smoked).
- Restrict non veg consumption once in a week.
- Add more bitter vegetables in diet. Use vegetables like bell peppers, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage in your diet.
- Include spices like cumin seeds, cinnamon, fennel seeds, pepper, asafoetida and long pepper in your diet.
- Exercise regularly. A brisk walk for 60 minutes daily helps a lot.
- You can also use herbal supplements like PCORID and UTONORM to get faster results. (read ayurvedic treatment for PCOS )
Benefits of PCOS Ayurveda Diet Plan
- Helps in weight loss
- Regularises menstrual cycle
- Boosts energy and improves nutrition supply
- Helps to clear acne and pimples.
- Improves skin tone and enhances glow.
- Reduces hair loss and accelerates hair growth.(read tips for healthy hair growth )