Introduction: Almonds are one of the most cultivated seeds from a tree called “almond,” and it is usually found in places such as Lebanon, Israel, Iran, Jordan, Syria, and Saudi Arabia. Almonds have been offering health benefits since ancient times, and more health benefits of almonds are coming to the limelight now and then. Indian and Egyptians cannot toy with almonds in their diets because of its numerous healthy nutrients.
The ancient Ayurvedic professionals claimed that these seeds were effective in improving intellectual ability, brainpower, and enhancing overall health. Consumption of almonds are flexible as they can be consumed raw as a snack, used as ingredients in casseroles, salads, as milk beverages, flour, add to body fragrances and lotions, and much more.
The health benefits of almonds cannot be over-emphasized as they are used as remedies to solve many problems such as diabetes, heart disease, constipation, coughs, impotence, hair and skin problems. Some of these benefits will be discussed in this article as we continue. But before that, let’s have more knowledge about almonds.
Nutritional Value of Almonds
Almonds, which have botanical name “Prunus dulcis” are small fruits from a species tree called almonds which belong to the family of Amygdalus. These fruits are related to a type of drupe nuts or hard seeds (such as walnuts, pecans, and macadamias) that are enclosed in the multiple layers as single.
Almonds are first extracted from their shells (a process referred to as shelling) before they are ready for consumption. Almond seeds contain many medicinal properties such as antioxidants, dietary fiber, monounsaturated fats, minerals such as magnesium, and vitamins such as riboflavin.
Almond nuts are highly nutritional and beneficial compared to other related nuts and are also equipped with calcium, iron, zinc, phosphorus, niacin, copper, and selenium. Other nutrients in almonds worthy of mentioning are energy-dense calories to the required amount needed in the body up to the standard American and Indian diet.
Below are the almonds nutrition nutrients compositions in a typical ¼ cup:
- 5 g fiber
- 5 g sugar
- 207 calories
- 7 g carbohydrates
- 5 g protein
- 0.8 mg manganese (44% DV)
- 16 mg vitamin E (61% DV)
- 96 mg Calcium (9.5% DV)
- 97 mg Magnesium (36% DV)
- 172 mg phosphorus (29% DV)
- 33 mg iron (4% DV)
Key Health Benefits of Almonds
Texts of Ayurveda explain the health benefits of almonds as follows
Ayurveda acharyas call almonds as “Vaataadah”. These seeds are sweet to taste and heavy to digest. They have hot potency and improve the moistness of tissues. They normalise vata and increase pitta. They are very good aphrodisiacs and help to boost sperm count and sperm motility. Hence almonds can be used in conditions like low sperm count. (Read Natural ways to increase sperm count ) . They are very effective in increased bleeding during menstrual cycle, PCOS (Read Ayurvedic PCOS Treatment ), Headache and Back ache.
Almonds are popular edible nuts fortified with many medicinal properties to provide numerous health benefits. The fruits are known to be high in fat, yet they are rich in healthy nutrients. Highlight below are the key benefits of almonds:
- Control blood sugar levels to prevent diabetes: These nuts contain monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFAs) which play a vital role in slowing down the rate of release of glucose into the bloodstream and efficiently manage the blood sugar to enhance sugar-controlling hormone called insulin, for optimal insulin resistance. Almonds are rich in essential magnesium (which is not readily available in many people’s body) in addition to insulin regulator to benefit the body and lower the risk of diabetes as well as metabolic syndrome.
- Enhance skin health:
Skin health maintenance is one of the most-celebrated benefits of almonds. The nuts are equipped with vitamin E and more antioxidants that enhance the skin health and as well as reduce the skin aging signs.
The concentration of antioxidants compounds such as quercetin, catechin, kaempferol, flavonol antioxidant, epicatechin, and isorhamnetin have been researched to contain in almonds to help fight skin cancer and reverse oxidative stress resulted from UV light exposure, pollution, and poor diet.
Almonds also benefit in the hydration of the skin and help speed up wounds healing process through their healthy fats. These and many other skin benefits of almonds have made experts recommend almond oil to be massaged on newborn babies’ skin for healthy skin.
- Good for men with erectile dysfunction:
Almonds contain a load of vitamin E which is essential for reproductive and sexual health especially in men with erectile dysfunction. (Read Ayurvedic remedy for erectile dysfunction). These magic seeds are studied to be an essential ancient aphrodisiac which has been in use for a long time. They help to boost sex drive by enhancing healthy circulation and flow of blood in the body. Almonds can be an ayurvedic remedy for erectile dysfunction in diabetes as it controls blood sugar and also boosts libido. (Read Diabetic Vajikarana Therapy ) . Texts of Ayurveda recommend to include almonds in diet of men who are undergoing Vajikarana Therapy ( Click here for Complete Vajikarana Therapy Kit )
Take a mixture of a tablespoon of almond powder with a glass of warm milk before you retire to bed at night for 30 days and see the magic. (Also Read Vajikarana milk with long pepper -An ayurvedic vajikarana preparation ).
- Prevent overeating to help with weight loss:
The dietary fiber and healthy fats present in almonds prevent overeating and help with weight loss to promote healthy weight. The fat and calories contained in almonds have been studied to be healthy, prolong satisfaction feeling after a meal and regulate your blood sugar more than any other low-fat meals. This leads to a reduction in calories and energy food cravings. The eating of almonds and other related nuts over time have been studied to promote healthy metabolism, healthy weight, and reduce the rate of obesity. (Click here for Ayurvedic Weight Loss Remedy )
- Prevent heart disease: Almonds contain two important chemical compounds such antioxidants and monounsaturated fatty acids which are essential for the prevention of cardiovascular diseases and over heart health. The antioxidant flavonoids contained in almonds skin together with vitamin E reduce inflammation and promote artery health to prevent any forms of heart diseases. Other key nutrients in almonds to help improve heart health include potassium, arginine, calcium copper, magnesium, and manganese.
- Support brain health: Almonds are equipped with two vital brain nutrients such as L-carnitine and riboflavin to support brain functions and enhance neurological activity. They are regarded as one of the key brain foods to perform these functions. Almonds are being recommended for the elderly to help prevent cognitive decline since they are subjected to a reduction in the inflammation risk that can result in brain problems such as Alzheimer’s disease and dementia. Almonds have also been linked to intellectual improvement, and they have been encouraged to incorporate the nuts in the growing children’s diet.
- Fight cancer: The gamma-tocopherol contained in almonds is a powerful antioxidant helps battle oxidative stress and free radical damage connected to cancer disease. Studies have shown that eating almond nuts can prevent and reduce the risk cancer diseases such as prostate, breast, and colon cancers.
- For dental and bone healthy: Phosphorus and magnesium in almonds play important roles in maintaining and building healthy bones and teeth. The nuts are beneficial in fighting bone cavity, osteoporosis, reducing the risk of bone fractures and averting tooth decay.
Almonds are blessed with lots of body’s needed healthy nutrients ranging from fiber, vitamin E, healthy fats, protein, magnesium, manganese, and much more. All these medicinal nutrients are the secrets behind almonds magic and benefits. Incorporating these nuts in your diet has become a necessity to enjoy these numerous benefits as listed above in this article. Go out there and ask for almonds and join the league of people benefiting from these nuts.