Cucumbers are the fourth most cultivated vegetable in world and known to be one of the best foods for body’s overall health.
Cucumber and ayurveda: When we analyze properties of cucumber based on ayurvedic principles, it pacifies pitta dosha. Pitta dosha is associated with heat. Pitta when aggravated can cause acidity, heart burn, high blood pressure, irregular sleep pattern, acne, irritability and emotional disturbances. Cucumber helps to reduce vitiation of pitta and cools body.
Health benefits of cucumber:
- Rehydrates body and replenishes vitamins – Cucumbers is 95% water. It keeps the body hydrated and helps liver in detoxification process. Regular consumption of this vegetable aids in elimination of toxins. It is a store house of several vitamins and minerals. Hence can almost full fill body’s daily needs of vitamins and minerals.
- Fight Cancers – Researches have shown that cucumber contains three types of lignans and these lignans reduce risk of cancer. The risk of breast cancer, prostate cancer, and ovarian cancers can be reduced with regular consumption of cucumbers.
- Relieves Bad breath – Cucumber contains various phytochemicals. These compounds help to relieve bad breath.
- Aids in Weight loss and digestion – Due to its low calorie, plentiful fiber content and high water content, cucumber is an ideal diet for people who are looking for weight loss. Water and dietary fibers of this vegetable are very effective in ridding the toxins from digestive system. These also aid a good digestion. Adding cucumber in your daily diet can help to relieve constipation.
- Cures diabetes, reduces cholesterol and controls blood pressure – Cucumber juice contains a hormone which is needed by the cells of pancreas for producing insulin which has been found to be beneficial to diabetic patients. Researchers found that a compound called sterols in cucumbers may help to reduce cholesterol levels. Cucumber contains a lot of potassium, magnesium and fiber. These work effectively to reduce blood pressure. This makes cucumber good for treating both low blood pressure and high blood pressure.
- Cucumber and erectile dysfunction – We all know that the causative factors for erectile dysfunction are high blood pressure, high cholesterol, obesity, lack of minerals and vitamins. Regular consumption of cucumber helps to control all these causes. Thus cucumber can be used as herbal ayurvedic remedy for erectile dysfunction.
- Promotes Joint health, relieves gout and arthritis pain – Cucumber is an excellent source of silica which is known to promote joint health by strengthening the connective tissues. They are also rich in vitamin A, B1, B6, C and D, Folate, Calcium, magnesium and potassium. When mixed with carrot juice they can relieve gout and arthritis pain by lowering the uric acid levels.
- Skin and hair care – Cucumber can be used for skin irritations and sun burns. The silicon and sulfur in cucumbers help to stimulate hair growth.
Home remedies with cucumber:
- Take a slice of cucumber and press it to the palate (roof of mouth) with the help of tongue. This helps to relieve bad breath.
- Mix half cup of carrot juice and half cup of cucumber juice. Consume this daily to reduce joint pain and uric acid level. This simple home remedy helps in conditions like arthritis and gout.
- Place a slice each on both eyes. This reduces burning sensation, puffiness, dark circles and tiredness of eyes.
- Dip slices of cucumber in cold green tea and place them on your eyes. This is the best natural ayurvedic remedy for dark circles.
- Grate ¼ cup of cucumber and mix 1 teaspoon of yellow gram flour to it. Apply this on cleaned face. The cool face pack of cucumber helps to reduce acne, pimples and wrinkles. This is an excellent ayurvedic remedy to increase fairness and glow of skin.