Texts of Ayurveda explain medicinal properties of jaggery as follows
Purified jaggery does not increase kapha. It helps to relieve constipation. Purified jaggery when consumed reduces burning micturition and eases urine flow. Impure jaggery is not beneficial to health. Jaggery when consumed in excess increases body fat (Click here for Ayurvedic Weight Loss combo), reduces strength of bones (asthi dhatu), disturbs health of bone marrow (majja dhatu) , blood (rakta dhatu) and muscles (Mamsa dhatu).
When pure jaggery is kept for aging its medicinal properties increase. Aged gur is good for heart and nourishes body.
Medicinal properties and health benefits of Gur or jaggery:
• Well prepared jaggery is store house of nutrients. According to ayurveda acharyas It eases bowel movement (hence very beneficial for persons suffering from constipation) and acts as diuretic.
• Guda or jaggery kept for a long time is very good for health and acts as cardiac tonic. It increases kapha and helps to gain a healthy weight. Hence it is recommended for persons who need brimhana therapy or weight gain therapy.
. Jaggery is also used in preparation of ayurvedic Lehyams. Lehyams are ayurvedic herbal sweet jam preparations which are made palatable using ghee and jaggery. Vajikara Lehyam an ayurvedic Vajikarana rasayan for sexual dysfunction and SUPRAJA LEHYAM an ayurvedic remedy for low sperm count and motility are prepared using jaggery as sweetening agent.
• Gur is rich in several important vitamins and minerals like potassium, magnesium, iron, zinc, selenium, calcium and phosphorus and antioxidants.
• It supplies instant energy. Juices prepared using this as sweetening agent are healthy and reviving.
• The iron content in this sweetener helps to boost blood hemoglobin level. Hence its use in pregnancy can be beneficial.
• The potassium in gur helps to control blood pressure.
• This sweetener can be used as a healthy substitute for sugar.
. It helps in digestion and nullifies free radicles.
Home remedies with jaggery:
Common Cold: mix 1 tea spoon of powdered gur with 2 tea spoons of beetle leaves’ juice. Add ½ cup of warm water and sip slowly.
Consuming 1 small piece of jaggery daily, in empty stomach with a glass of water helps to relieve menstrual problems.
Regular use of this helps to reduce incidences of anemia.
Grind ½ tea spoon of gur, ½ tea spoon sesame seeds and few drops of milk to a fine paste. Applying this paste on forehead helps to relieve migraine headaches.Consumption of jaggery relieves headache.
Grind 1 tea spoon jaggery with 2-3 black peppers. Keep this paste on tongue and slowly chew it to get relief from cough.
Note: Diabetic patients should be careful while using this as it may increase blood glucose level.