Many experience depression during winter. This is called as winter blues. Here are ayurvedic tips for winter depression to clear clouds and enjoy sunshine.
Table of content
What is winter depression ?
Long nights, short days, sweaters, warm clothes and chilly weather make many of us sick and depressed. This depression which surfaces especially in winter is a Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) and is often called as winter Time Blues or Winter depression. The exact cause for this depression is as of yet unclear. But yet few scientists believe lack of exposure to sunlight as the reason for this disorder.
Symptoms of winter blues
The symptoms of winter depression are tendency to over eat, craving for carbohydrates and sweets and weight gain ( Brimhana Therapy an Ayurveda Way to Gain Weight ).
Had our ancestors observed this change in humans? The answer is yes. Have they recommended any remedies? Yes, they have recommended simple and effective natural remedies to overcome Seasonal Affective Disorder. They have laid down explicit guidelines about diet and lifestyles which have to be followed according to seasons.
Ayurvedic Solution to winter depression
The winter season is marked as Hemanta rutu ( Hemantha Rutucharya – Seasonal Regimen for Hemanta Rutu ) and Shishira ritu ( Shishira Rutucharya – A Healthy Lifestyle for Cold and Dry Weather ) in ayurveda. Hemanta ritu starts from mid November and ends in mid January. This falls in southern solstice which is called as visarga kala or dakshinayana in ayurveda. Sisira ritu starts from mid January and lasts till middle of march. Sisira ritu falls in Northern solstice which is called as Aadana kaala or uttaraayana. Read Ayurvedic seasonal routine or rutucharya
The response of human body to this season is very well explained in ayurveda. People will have increased strength and their digestion capacity or agni ( Ayurveda Agni or Body Fire or Metabolism and Digestion Process ) is increased .This is marked by increased hunger. These symptoms are caused by increased body fire which is supported by vata dosha ( Ayurveda Vata Dosha – Body Type and Balancing Tips ) . Vata inside body increases in winter because of cold and dryness which is prevalent in outer atmosphere.
The winter time depression is noticed mostly in persons who have vata as major constituent in their prakriti or body constitution. The cause for this type of change is longer nights of winter.
Light therapy is recommended by doctors for winter time blues. Exposure to artificial light may cause headache , Irritability ,Eye strain , Inability to sleep and fatigue. Exposure to sunlight and if sunlight is not available sitting near fireplace is the remedy suggested in Ayurveda.
Keeping the home well lit with lights help to reduce the intensity of depression.
Moderate exercise like yoga is another remedy for winter depression. Ayurveda recommends oil massage ( Manifold Wonders of Massage Therapy – In Ayurveda ) (abhyanga) to body and head (moordha taila.). Indulging in sexual act to keep the moods elevated and to keep the body warm is another strongly suggested ayurvedic remedy.
Meet Friends and Relatives
Meeting friends who are kind and understanding boosts morale and brightens up the day. Spending time with friends on the beach helps to expose your body to sunlight and keeps your spirits high.
Relaxing with meditation, massage , light music and laughter helps to great extent.
Ayurvedic Tips to Reduce Winter Depression
The following ayurvedic tips help to prevent and reduce the intensity of seasonal disorder of winter, the winter time blues.
- Expose yourself to sunlight as much as you can. In absence of sun light sitting near fire place is very helpful.
- Massage your body with vata balancing herbal oil (abhyanga) like ksherrabala oil ( Ksheerabala oil or Taila Uses and Benefits for Skin and Hair ) or sesame oil ( Ayurveda Health Benefits of Sesame Seeds and Oil ) or coconut oil ( Ayurveda Health Benefits of Coconut, Tender Coconut Water, Coconut Shell and Oil ). Never forget to apply oil on your head (moordha taila.).
- Then remove the oil by taking hot water bath. A mixture of flours of yellow gram (channa), green gram (moong) , fenu greek seeds (methi) in equal proportion is the best herbal scrub which can be used to remove the oil. This mixture prevents the washing of natural oil from skin. (read Ayurvedic Body Scrub Recipe for Psoriasis, Dry Skin, Back Acne and Glowing Skin)
- Consume hot soups like yavagu ( Yavagu – An Ayurvedic Diet for Indigestion , Fever and Diarrhoea ).
- Use vata balancing foods like wheat, oil, corn, black gram ( Urad Dal or Black Gram Recipes for Weight Gain and Sperm Health ) and jaggery ( Ayurveda Health Benefits and Medicinal Properties of Jaggery ).
- Tickle your taste buds with sweet (Madhura rasa) ( Ayurveda Sweet Taste – Madhura Rasa ), sour (amla rasa) ( Amla rasa or Sour Taste in Ayurveda ) and salt (lavana rasa) ( Lavana Rasa – The salty taste in ayurveda ) tastes
- Always use hot water ( Water – the Elixir of Life- An Ayurveda View ) for all daily routine activity.
- Use thick blankets and sheets made of cotton, silk and wool.
- Always wear foot wear.
- Indulge in sexual act.
- Spend your leisure time with friends and relatives whom you like.
Consult Dr.Savitha Suri for ayurvedic remedies. Email [email protected] . WhatsApp + 91 6360108663
Author : Dr. Savitha Suri Consultant Ayurvedic Physician
Call us at +91 9945995660 / +91 9448433911