Introduction: Weight gain is the product of wrong eating habits as well as casual lifestyles living by people. This has over the time led to accumulation of belly fat. The associated disadvantages of belly fat ranging from bad body structure to increase in the chances that subject many to health problems.
All our activities and habits are prone to various types of toxin, food, and variation in environmental weather which exposes us to radiations, pollutants, and stress of daily activities which lead to accumulation of toxins in the body.
These toxins in the body play significant roles in weight gain. This is the reason the body needs to undergo daily detoxification to flush out these unwanted toxins in the body. However, this doesn’t happen all the time due to some issues such as body state or health complication; hence the need for detoxification.
Ayurvedic Daily Home Detoxification for Weight Loss
Ayurveda is blessed with many resources to detoxify the body and some of these tips will be discussed in this article. Below are the daily home detoxification tips for weight loss: (Click here for ayurvedic weight loss treatment)
- Drink a glass of warm water, honey with organic lemon in the morning: Drinking a large glass of warm water with a tea spoon of honey and organic lemon first thing in the morning has been found effective in improving metabolism. (Read Do Lemon And Honey Reduce Body Fat ? ).This rejuvenates the complete digestive system to give you a new start to the daily activities. This daily habit is useful in burning toxins which leads to weight loss.(Read Five Effective Ayurvedic Tea Recipes for Weight Loss )
- Regular exercise: Exercises such as brisk walk (Read Benefits of Daily Brisk Walking ), jogging, and much more can help detoxify your body for weight loss. This single act promotes overall body health and assists you in solving many health issues. However, you must exercise actively to break a sweat for you to achieve your aim of detoxifying your body for weight loss. (Read Ayurvedic weight loss tips for a busy schedule ).
- For good result, the ideal duration for your daily exercise is expected to be between 30 – 60 minutes (based on your strength) and should be between 6 – 10 am when the body is still active. Exercise has been researched to warm the body, refresh blood to the brain, and cancel out sluggishness to make your activities energized throughout the day as well as help you achieve your weight loss goal.
- Don’t skip your meals: Another way to detoxify your body to reduce your weight is to eat all your daily meals without skipping anyone. Many people sometimes make the mistake of starving themselves because they want to reduce weight; not knowing that as they are trying to shed off their fats, their body also needs daily nutrients for their overall health. However, eating three meals a day with moderation can go a long way in weight loss.
Food is regarded as fast-burning fuel in the body, and when it is supplied continuously, the body doesn’t think of accumulating unnecessary fat. Breakfast is expected to be a medium-sized meal such as fresh fruit, first before the meal, to be taken ideally between 7:30 am – 9 am, while lunch is usually large.
In the Ayurvedic system of fighting fat, 50% of your total daily calories are expected to be taken at lunch between 11 am and 2 pm. Your dinner should be the smallest meal of the day because at this period, your body always has the weakest digestion and it should be taken between 5:30 pm and 7 pm. Above all, your lunch should be your daily most important meal because, at this period, you have the most active and strongest digestion.
- Cut out the Snacks: Do away with the snacks to achieve the goal of reducing your weight. Whenever you eat, your body produces a hormone called insulin to assist process sugar into cells and balance your blood sugar. The sugar in your cells fuels needed energy for about 3 hours before the body starts to burn fat to supply needed energy. This implies that eating every 3 hours will not give your body the opportunity to dip into your fat storage and burn the stored fat. However, eating three balanced diets frequently every day without snacks in between helps burn fat and reduces your weight drastically.
- Incorporate all six tastes in your daily diet: Ayurveda six tastes are sweet (madhura rasa ), salty (lavana rasa ), sour (amla rasa ), bitter (tikta rasa), pungent (katu rasa ), and astringent (Kashaya rasa ), and they are all expected to be incorporated in your daily diet. The first three tastes such as sweet, salty, and sour are known to be anabolic (or building) in nature while the remaining three tastes such as pungent, bitter and astringent are known to be catabolic (or burning) in nature, help to balance the system.
Taking too many of the first tastes like sweet, sour and salty ( which are fat building) without taking other tastes (fat burning) or few according to the American diet standard can result in accumulation of fat for fast weight gain. Taking food such as leafy greens, spicy chili peppers, pomegranate seeds which are bitter, pungent, and astringent respectively balance and counter fat-building foods of sour, salty, and sweet tastes.
- Morning elimination practice: Morning elimination has been viewed by Ayurveda as one of the essential daily hygiene and health practices to help, especially when you are trying to detoxify your body to lose weight. This elimination method involves cleaning your tongue and drinking warm water if you don’t have the bowel movement in the morning. It assists you to regulate and activate this body functions. Triphala which contains amla (Ayurveda medicinal properties of amla or Indian gooseberry ) , haritaki (Ayurveda Medicinal Properties of Haritaki-Terminalia Chebula ) and vibhitaki (Ayurveda Medicinal Properties of Vibhitaki-Bibhitaki- Terminalia Bellirica ) , can also help in the regular and healthy elimination of your body toxins.
- Eat fruits and vegetables: Some fruits and vegetables are beneficial for body cleansing and it is advisable to have a one or two servings of the fruits and vegetables during your cleansing phases and you may also take them as breakfast if possible. Mostly, sweet juicy fruits such as cooked figs, raisins (Raisins or Dry grapes Health benefits ) and prunes along with a stewed pear or apple are excellent cleansers to do the work. Leafy greens, cooked with detox spice mix are a great food for good result. Other ones are cabbage, Brussels sprouts, and much more.
- Make your own detox spice Mix: Take 4 tea spoons of cumin seeds (Jeera), 2 tea spoons of saunf (fennel seeds) and 1 tea spoon of black pepper (Kali mirch) . Slightly warm jeera, fennel seeds and pepper. Grind these together and store it in an air tight container. Sprinkle this mix on salads, smoothies and juices.
Just like gaining weight is enjoyable, losing weight can also be healthy and pleasurable. You don’t need to starve yourself before losing weight. In Ayurveda, it can be simply done in a way to also enjoy other overall health benefits. However, they have been simply highlighted above for your actions. Try to adjust your eating habits and lifestyle to achieve a good result in a timely manner.