Ayurveda recommends various methods to help weight loss. This includes , determination, diet, exercise, building muscles and ayurvedic weight loss cooking
Table of content
The resent statistics and researches have revealed that obesity or over weight is a growing global health problem. A person is called overweight or obese, when his/her weight is more than normal. Factors like age, height and race are considered to calculate normal weight of a person. Obesity leads to several other health problems like diabetes, high blood pressure or hypertension, erectile dysfunction, increased cholesterol and heart diseases. Obesity results when a person over eats and does no physical activities. Here is a list of few guaranteed ayurvedic ways to lose weight and beat obesity
When you realize that you are overweight, immediately consult an ayurvedic physician or dietician and start following an ayurvedic weight loss program. Never postpone or procrastinate this. Just get started and do something to lose weight.
Ayurvedic Weight Loss Secretes
Set Weight Loss Goals
Ayurveda advises to have dhee (perception) , dhriti (retention or courage) and smriti (memory) when you have a goal to achieve. Set your goals to achieve weight loss. Keep small targets or small goal which can be achieved in short span of time. Achieving small goals encourages you on weight loss path. Concentrate on losing fat in every stage of daily routine.
Ahara – Chalk out a Diet Program
Ayurveda gives utmost importance for food or ahara what we eat. It is very essential to get the body constitution or prakruti analysed and then frame a diet. According to nutritionists” The total number of calories used by your body per day is known as Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE). A normal person needs 2000 Calories for his daily activities. Reducing the daily calorie intake (i.e., less than 2000calories) and increasing the calorie expenditure (more than 2000 calories) help to reduce fat. When we consume fewer calories our body metabolizes the stored fat to meet the caloric needs of body.”
Keep track of food you eat and their approximate caloric value. Strictly say no to sweets, soft drinks, refined sugar, chocolates, ice creams etc. Avoid saturated fats, fried foods and deep fried foods. Even small quantities of Oils and fats have high calories in them. Avoid junk foods, jams, refined flours, etc as they contain fewer nutrients and more calories. Welcome fresh vegetables, green leafy vegetables, fruits, lean meat, legumes and other healthy foods, on your plate. Include whole grains in your diet and recipes. Whole grains have more nutrients and fibers. Divide your diet in 5-6 small portions spread over a day. The best way is 3 small meals 2 healthy snacks. Calories from small meals are used quickly. Eat your food slowly. Take at least 20 minutes to finish your meals. Our brain takes 20 minutes to send the satiety signal (signal to say that stomach is full). This prevents consumption of extra calories. Drink plenty of water to aid digestion and prevent dehydration. Avoid alcohol. Consumption of alcohol increases hunger and leads to snacking
Vyayama – Exercise
Ayurveda recommends to include exercises in your dinacharya or ayurvedic daily routine . Increase your physical activities. This compels body to use stored fat. Aerobic exercises help to burn fat and increase TDEE . Lifting weights helps to get rid of excess fat .This work out tones up muscles too. Brisk walking for 45 minutes daily is the best exercise for whole body.
Strengthen Mamsa Dhatu or Muscles
When a person is overweight, health professionals advise him to lose weight. Losing weight means burning extra fat accumulated in tissues of body. In this process there are chances that we may lose portion of lean muscle mass. When a person undertakes a weight loss program it is very important to give extra care to prevent loss of lean muscle mass.
Let us separately view over weight or obesity and lean muscle mass.
Obesity or increased body Fat:
Unhealthy diet, sedentary lifestyle, hormonal imbalance, certain health conditions etc lead to accumulation of body fat more than required. This condition is detrimental to health and is known as Obesity where body fat percentage is highly increased.
Lean muscle mass:
Lean muscle mass is the pure muscle mass without the fat. Men have more lean muscle mass than women. Well protected and built lean muscle mass help to burn fat quickly, prevent unnecessary weight gain, reduce the risk of injury and gives a good shape to body.
Hence it is very important to pay attention to lose body and belly fat and not muscle. Preserve lean muscle mass when we start weight loss program. Our weight loss program must aim to build muscle mass also.
Here are few important tips to lose body fat and increase muscle mass.
Address these problems separately. Pay attention on losing fat. Focus on increasing your lean muscle mass. Pay lot of attention on your nutrition. Diet should provide less calories and more protein.
Tips to increase lean muscle mass
- •Hit the nearest gym
- •Lift weights.
- •During your weight training routine, try to keep progressively increasing the amount of weight you lift over time. This alone will cause your body to keep adapting to the increase in demand by adding lean muscle tissue.
- •Increase the weight you lift is by decreasing your repetitions.
- •Include protein in your diet
- •Give lot of rest for your muscles to recover from wear and tear. Because weight lifting exercises cause lot of strain on muscles.
Address each individually. While attempting to lose fat, focus on the steps above that have to do with fat loss. In the mean time, take the steps listed above and try to maximize muscle gain while in the gym.
Ayurvedic Weight Loss Cooking
Health professionals advice to exercise regularly (to burn already accumulated fat) and to reduce calorie intake through diet. Ayurveda advises healthy cooking methods which help in weight loss and also preserves the nutrients in food. Here are few tips for healthy ayurvedic weight loss cooking which help to reduce adding extra calories to your recipe.
- •Steam vegetables instead of frying in oil. Let them be parboiled to keep the nutrients locked.
- •Use olive oil or rice bran oil to season the recipe.
- •Do not add oil to a salad.
- •Shallow fry food items than deep frying.
- •Always use nonstick cooking vessel which needs very less oil to cook.
- •Use jaggery (gur) or honey instead of refined sugar.
- •Use steamed sprouts, green salads for filling.
- •Prepare your own sauces at home without using preservatives.
- •Use whole cereals and grains to prepare breads, rotis and naans.
- •Use vegetable juices with mint and spices as appetizers instead of creamy soups.
- •Fruit salad with honey can be a best choice for desert.
- •Roast papads instead of deep frying them in oil.
Some Ayurvedic Weight Loss Tips for Busy Bees
Working 8-10 hours a day makes it difficult to find time to work out. Working in shifts, deprivation of sleep, irregular meal times etc make it a herculean task to schedule exercise routine. How to maintain your weight and stay healthy in this busy schedule? Ayurveda the oldest life science has recommended many easy solutions to lose weight. Here are few ayurvedic tips to lose weight which can be naturally folded into your daily busy routine.
- First and foremost important mantra of weight loss is to just stop sweets (madhura rasa aahara), oily foods, junk foods, soft drinks, refined flour and refined sugar. These are laden with calories and never allow you to lose weight. Ayurveda acharyas call these foods as “medho vriddhikara aahara” (foods which increase body fat or medha dhatu)
- Start your day with sugar less green tea. Green tea is known to increase rate of metabolism and burn calories. You can consume 3-4 cups of green tea per day. Green tea is rich in antioxidants which eliminates free radicals. Free radicals are by products of cellular metabolism which accelerate aging process.
- Use pure honey as a substitute to sugar. According to principles of ayurveda honey does “lekhana karma” (Lekhana karma means process of scraping). It dries off fat and dissolves it as it has opposite qualities of fat. Take care not to add honey with hot foods or beverages.
- Drink coffee, tea, or fresh fruit juice without sugar.
- Eat fresh salads, fruits and sprouts before meals. These low calorie foods fill the stomach and reduce the quantity of carbohydrates like rice and wheat which we consume as staple food.
- Take small quantity of meal on the plate and eat slowly. Extend the period of eating to 20 minutes with smaller bites. Let your meal include healthy foods like fresh vegetables, fruits, sprouts and whole grains. Avoid red meat and fatty meat.
- Never follow the crowd who over eat or who prefer unhealthy food. They tempt you to break weight loss aim.
- Prefer steamed food instead of those cooked with oil. Cooking with water increases the volume of food where as volume reduces when cooked with oil.
- Drink plenty of water. It hydrates your body when you are on a weight loss program.
- Avoid salt on table.
- Increase your physical activity. According to acharya Charaka “Avyayama” or less physical activity leads to obesity. Walk fast while moving in your house for daily chores. Walking fast help to burn more calories. Get up from your chair once in an hour and move for five minutes. Always take stairs instead of lift. Keep a habit of taking a brisk walk around office corridors during break time.
- Never use vehicles for short distances. Walk these distances to complete the tasks like fetching vegetables, groceries etc.
- During weekends walk for a long distance or plan for a hiking or an outdoor sport. These activities increase burning of calories.
- Bring out the child in you. Whenever you have time, play and dance with your kids/ friends. These activities help to reduce stress and increase fat metabolism
Call us at +91 9945995660 / +91 9448433911
Whats App + 91 6360108663/