Working 8-10 hours a day makes it difficult to find time to work out. Working in shifts
, deprivation of sleep
, irregular meal times etc make it a herculean task to schedule exercise routine. How to maintain your weight and stay healthy in this busy schedule? Ayurveda the oldest life science has recommended many easy solutions to lose weight. Here are few ayurvedic tips to lose weight
which can be naturally folded into your daily busy routine.
- First and foremost important mantra of weight loss is to just stop sweets (madhura rasa aahara), oily foods, junk foods, soft drinks, refined flour and refined sugar. These are laden with calories and never allow you to lose weight. Ayurveda acharyas call these foods as “medho vriddhikara aahara” (foods which increase body fat or medha dhatu)
- Start your day with sugar less green tea. Green tea is known to increase rate of metabolism and burn calories. You can consume 3-4 cups of green tea per day. Green tea is rich in antioxidants which eliminates free radicals. Free radicals are by products of cellular metabolism which accelerate aging process.
- Use pure honey as a substitute to sugar. According to principles of ayurveda honey does “lekhana karma” (Lekhana karma means process of scraping). It dries off fat and dissolves it as it has opposite qualities of fat. Take care not to add honey with hot foods or beverages.
- Drink coffee, tea, or fresh fruit juice without sugar.
- Eat fresh salads, fruits and sprouts before meals. These low calorie foods fill the stomach and reduce the quantity of carbohydrates like rice and wheat which we consume as staple food.
- Take small quantity of meal on the plate and eat slowly. Extend the period of eating to 20 minutes with smaller bites. Let your meal include healthy foods like fresh vegetables, fruits, sprouts and whole grains. Avoid red meat and fatty meat.
- Never follow the crowd who over eat or who prefer unhealthy food. They tempt you to break weight loss aim.
- Prefer steamed food instead of those cooked with oil. Cooking with water increases the volume of food where as volume reduces when cooked with oil.
- Drink plenty of water. It hydrates your body when you are on a weight loss program.
- Avoid salt on table.
- Increase your physical activity. According to acharya Charaka “Avyayama” or less physical activity leads to obesity. Walk fast while moving in your house for daily chores. Walking fast help to burn more calories. Get up from your chair once in an hour and move for five minutes. Always take stairs instead of lift. Keep a habit of taking a brisk walk around office corridors during break time.
- Never use vehicles for short distances. Walk these distances to complete the tasks like fetching vegetables, groceries etc.
- During weekends walk for a long distance or plan for a hiking or an outdoor sport. These activities increase burning of calories.
- Bring out the child in you. Whenever you have time, play and dance with your kids/ friends. These activities help to reduce stress and increase fat metabolism