Benefits of Ayurvedic Daily Routine or Dinacharya. Rituals of Ayurveda
Ayurveda acharyas explain the importance of healthy ayurvedic daily routine or dinacharya to keep our body and mind healthy. There are innumerable benefits in following ayurvedic dinacharya. These routines help to boost immunity, improve strength and stamina of body and mind.
Ayurveda Dinacharya says Wake up Early:
In Ayurvedic daily routine ‘dinacharya’ they recommend to wake up in “bramhi mahurta”.
Brahmi mahurta is the time between 3am to 6 am. It is called bramhi mahurta as it is the time to acquire brahman or knowledge. In this time span nature has ‘sattvic ‘ qualities which bring freshness and calms mind.
Benjamin Franklin the polymath of America said that “The early morning has gold in its mouth,” which means that waking up in early morning has huge benefits. These benefits are listed here.
- Increase in productivity since you get more hours to work.
- Reduced stress levels
- Increased positivity.
Achamana or Drinking Water in Morning according to ayurvedic daily routine:
Drinking a glass of warm water , stored in a copper vessel overnight, as soon as you wake up is known as ‘achamana’. This process stimulate the digestive system and initiates the peristaltic movement of digestive tract. Achamana helps in comfortable bowel evacuation or passing of stools. (pooping). This helps to get rid of constipation (Read Can Constipation cause erectile dysfunction? ).
When water is stored in copper vessel overnight we get the benefits of copper which is a micronutrient required by our body. Copper vessels have to thoroughly cleaned daily before storing the water. (Read copper water benefits)
Evacuate bowels or Getting rid of body waste or Pooping is one of the rituals in ayurveda:
Getting rid of body waste is very important to keep the body healthy. Acharya Vaghbhata says
“It is important to evacuate bladder and bowel as soon as you wake up in morning”. If the stools are not evacuated, the toxins liberated from them once again enter the body system and alter the normal body function. Pooping daily makes body and mind light and happy.
Brushing Teeth and Scarping Tongue -importance in ayurveda dinacharya:
After morning elimination of waste, we should brush our teeth and massage gums.
In Ayurveda they recommend to use tender twigs of herbs like neem (Read Neem for diabetes) and Karanja (pongamia pinnata), which are made like brush. These herbs must have bitter (tikta rasa ) , astringent (Kashaya Rasa ) and pungent (katu Rasa ) tastes to clear the wastes of throat and oral cavity. Gums should be massaged carefully with forefinger after brushing. The coating on tongue should be removed using a copper tongue scraper.
Tailabhyanga or Body massage in Daily Routine:
After completing morning procedures of oral hygiene and evacuation , it is time to concentrate on other parts of body. Tailabhyanga or massaging body with warm medicated oils has its own benefits .
Body massage with ayurvedic oils like ksheerabala oil or tailam has innumerable health benefits. You have to pay a special attention to massage head, ears and foot.
Benefits of oil massage or tailabhyanga in Dinacharya.
- It slows down aging process. You always look young and healthy when you regularly massage your body with medicated ayurvedic oil.
- Massaging body with warm ayurvedic oil like ksheerabala oil relieves you of tiredness and boosts body energy. (Read Health benefits of ayurvedic body massage )
- You get a very good sleep and can get rid of insomnia (Ayurvedic Remedies for Insomnia).
- Skin looks young and radiant. Wrinkles will disappear with regular massage. (Read Wrinkles and natural ayurveda remedies)
Exercise or Vyayama in ayurvedic daily routine:
After body massage one should exercise according to his strength. The exercise should be moderate and not too rigorous or not too little. The best exercise for all ages is brisk walking for 45 minutes daily. (Read benefits of daily brisk walking )
Benefits of exercises in dinacharya are explained as follows.
- It makes body feel light (laghava)
- Exercise improves agni or digestive power and improves metabolism
- Medas or Fat gets reduced by regular exercises.
- Exercises make your body fit and chiseled.
After exercises body should be allowed to warm down. In this time, tap and squeeze body parts to improve blood circulation and to relax body muscles.
Importance of Snana or Bathing in ayurveda:
You have to take bath or shower , daily, after exercises. Use warm water to wash body parts below neck but use cold water to wash head and neck. Cold water helps to get rid of hair loss and keeps eyesight strong. Benefits of bathing or snana are explained as follows.
- Taking bath improves agni or digestion,
- Bathing increases life span, boosts body strength and relieves tiredness.
- A good shower makes you feel happy and increases libido. (read Increasing libido through Vajikarana Therapy)
- It not only makes you feel fresh but also cleanse the skin from sweat and germs.
- Bath is the best remedy to keep skin diseases and itching at bay.
Taking food or Aahara in Ayurveda dinacharya or Daily routine
Always take food after the previous meal is completely digested. This prevents indigestion and building of ama or toxins.
Other Precautions and routines to be followed in Dinacharya:
- Always wear comfortable and suitable footwear while going outside.
- Carry an umbrella to protect yourself from harsh sun rays or rain.
- Do not forget to carry weapons for self-protection (based on rule of land).
- Dress yourself with clean comfortable clothes
- Wear jewels made of pearl, coral, jade, diamond etc to enhance beauty and self-confidence.
- Do not sleep in afternoon.
- Do not consume food in evening
Dinacharya or Daily routine At night.
Take a light dinner before 8.00 pm
Relax and walk for 10 minutes.
You can consume fresh betel leaves with areca nut. Don’t use tobaaco or jarda.
Consume triphala before going to bed (triphala tablet)
Go to bed with good thoughts and happy feelings.
Benefits of following Dinacharya:
- Dinacharya helps to keep our body and mind in coordination with our internal clock or circadian rhythm.
- Ayurvedic daily routine gives utmost importance to body hygiene.
- Ayurvedic daily regimen boosts the sharpness of 5 sense organs and also keep them healthy.
- Dinacharya strengthens the body and improves mind health. Thus we develop immunity to the diseases of body and mind.
- This ayurvedic regimen also teach us how to protect ourselves from evils, diseases and enemies.