Turmeric milk is a mixture of dry turmeric powder or natural turmeric root (known as rhizome) and milk. It is one of the most powerful and potent spices in Indian cooking, and it contains healthy properties that are essential for your body. Turmeric (Read Ayurveda Medicinal Properties of Turmeric (Haldi) ) can be described as a golden yellow spice obtained from an Indian tropical herb called Curcuma longa, a ginger-like rhizome type.
Turmeric has been researched to contain antioxidant, anticancer, and anti-inflammatory properties which make it beneficial to the body. Some people use it to spice their foods while it is also excellent in milk. When it is mixed with milk, it is referred to as “turmeric milk”.
The benefits of drinking turmeric milk cannot be over-emphasized and some of these benefits ranging from internal healing, virility improvement (Click here for Virility Therapy Vajikarana Therapy ) , immunity strengthening (Read How to boost immunity naturally? ), to curing wounds. Many health specialists have recommended turmeric milk ( read Magnificent Milk - An ayurveda view ) as a natural remedy for many ailments. The Indian households have been traditionally using turmeric milk many years for treating diseases and as tonic for health improvement. Let’s look more in-depth into the benefits of turmeric milk.
Texts of Ayurveda explain the medicinal properties of turmeric as follows
Turmeric or haldi is bitter to taste and dries the moistness of tissues and fat. It is hot in potency. This golden powder can be used in the following conditions.
10 Key Benefits of Drinking Turmeric Milk
The chemical compound in turmeric has been noted to make turmeric beneficial and unique to human health. Turmeric milk has a long list of benefits but out of these numerous benefits, the key ones are discussed below:
- For body detoxification: Turmeric milk is an exceptional natural body detoxifier, specifically purifies the liver as well as blood to improve liver functions. It does this by cleansing the lymphatic system for the liver to function optimally. The presence of impurities in the blood can aid many health problems, and the mixture of turmeric and milk can help to prevent these problems. It also contributes to boost circulation of blood in the body. It helps to reduce skin rashes and skin irritation.
- In regular Cough and Cold: Turmeric milk is very useful in treating common cold and cough. Adding a tea spoon of pure ghee soothes sore throat and eases congestion.
- For cancer treatment: The mixture of raw turmeric and milk is an excellent anticancer natural treatment and helps to stops the growth of cancer issues such as prostate (Preventing Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia Through Ayurveda http://www.ayurhelp.com/articles/preventing-benign-prostatic-hyperplasia...), colon, breast, lung, and skin, due to its anti-inflammatory features. Mostly, turmeric milk inhibits the cancer cells from affecting the DNA and as well as controlling the chemotherapy effects.
- For digestion: Turmeric milk is a better stomach digestive substance to enhance intestinal health for overall health performance. It aids better digestion to clear the intestine and prevents indigestion (Read Ayurvedic treatment and home remedies for Indigestion ) , ulcers, colitis and diarrhea.
- For diabetes treatment: Turmeric milk is known for its ability to improve insulin levels (Ayurvedic Treatment for Diabetes ). It further helps to treat diabetes by boosting glucose control and assists in boosting the impact of diabetes medications for effectiveness.
- For glowing skin: Turmeric milk contains high antioxidant properties which help to glow the skin to make it more healthy and shining. The antioxidant content helps to combat free radicals that are involved in damaging the skin resulting in elasticity and sheen loss. It also heals the acne and pimples. It aids in reducing the scars caused due to zits.
- For arthritis treatment: Turmeric milk is known for its anti-inflammatory properties, and these features make turmeric milk a great prevention and treatment of arthritis and osteoarthritis. In Ayurvedic medicine, turmeric milk is known as a natural aspirin to cure swelling, pain, and headaches.
- For sleep inducement: Regular drinking of turmeric milk induces more relaxed rest in the night because it contains amino acid and tryptophan that help inducing sleep.
- For healing wounds: Turmeric milk assists in healing wounds from inside because of turmeric’s antibacterial and antiseptic agents which make it disinfectant, a great property to treat injuries. If turmeric is ground to powder and put on the wounds, it helps to speed up the treatment for a fast healing process. This milk helps to control psoriasis. (read 16 Indian ayurvedic Home remedies for Psoriasis)
- For bone strength: Calcium contained in turmeric milk helps the bone to be stronger and healthy. Many specialists have recommended turmeric milk to be taken every day for bone strengthening to reduce osteoporosis and bone loss.
- For curing autoimmune diseases: Turmeric milk helps to control and cure autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid, scleroderma, and psoriasis. It was studied that our immune system can fight our tissues and cells to lead to these health conditions, but turmeric milk is a great drink to cure the conditions.
Preparation of Turmeric Milk
Turmeric milk can be easily prepared at home with following ingredients:
- One teaspoon of turmeric powder or 1-inche raw turmeric
- One glass of milk
- Any sweetener such as honey
The steps involved in making turmeric milk are as follow:
- Put one spoon of turmeric powder in a pan
- Add the milk and boil the mixture for 10 to 15 minutes
- Add ½ a teaspoon of honey or any choice of sweetener, and you are good to go.
The list of turmeric milk benefits is long, and its preparation is straightforward and affordable as described. However, care must be taken not to abuse the benefits of this delicious and healthy drink. Dr. Ashutosh cautioned and recommended that if turmeric milk should be considered as your daily diet, a pinch of turmeric should not be exceeded to combine with a glass of milk. This is because curcumin in turmeric is easy to get into the body and addition of milk boosts its effects if taken for an extended period and the recommended turmeric is exceeded. This may result in health issues which are not good for overall health.