Ayurvedic anti dandruff oils must have good base oil and “keshya and twachya” herbs. We have carefully selected 7 best oils after checking their base oil and herbal ingredients.
Dandruff is a more common problem all over world. Even though it is not a life threatening condition it causes embarrassment in social circles. Dandruff can cause face acne and back acne which may tarnish beauty of a person. It also causes itchy and flaky scalp. The flakes fall on shoulders and can be a cause of awkwardness . Dandruff can also be a symptom of scalp psoriasis (Read 5 Best Ayurvedic Oils for Scalp Psoriasis )
According to ayurveda dandruff is known as “darunaka”. It is categorised as a disease which does not cause problem for your life (kshudra roga). This can arise by imbalance of all three doshas (vata dosha, pitta dosha and kapha dosha).
Ayurveda acharyas recommend to oil the hair to control and get rid of dandruff. Oiling the scalp and hair has lots of benefits. Reducing dandruff is one among them. Oiling balances all three doshas.
According to Dr.Savitha Suri Senior Consultant ayurvedic physician ” While selecting ayurvedic oils for dandruff control , it is very important to have a knowledge about base oil and herbs which are infused in it.
“keshya herbs” (hair friendly herbs) and “twachya herbs” (skin friendly herbs) like brungaraj, amla (Indian gooseberry), neem, tulsi, (Read How to Use Neem for Dandruff Treatment ) aloevera, bramhi, nili, jatamansi, etc help to get rid of dandruff and also act as anti-inflammatory herbs.”
7 Best Ayurvedic Hair Oils for Dandruff
We have carefully selected these hair oils after analysing their base oil and herbal ingredients. We have also checked the review of customers and listed these hair oils.
#1 Sesa Plus Ayurvedic Strong Roots Oil,
Base Oil – Sesame Oil, Coconut Oil, mustard oil, lemon oil, nili oil,
Speciality of this Oil – They have processed this hair oil in “ksheera paka Vidhi” . According to them Kshir Pak Vidhi is a special process of boiling 26 herbs and 6 nourishing oils in milk to extract the most out of all the ingredients.Milk helps to entrap alkaloids and volatile essential oils in milk fat without any loss. After boiling, milk is extracted from the contents. These vital ingredients are preserved to prevent hair fall, improve blood circulation, control premature graying, ensure healthy and dandruff-free hair.
#2 Indulekha Bhringa Hair Oil,
Base Oil – Virgin Coconut Oil- Virgin coconut oil is extracted by the cold compression method. It is higher in vitamin content, antioxidants, minerals, fragrance and even the amount of protein.
Herbal Ingredients – Svethakutaja, Aloe vera, Neem, Bringharaj, Amla.
Speciality of Oil – It is special manufacturing procedure of the base oil.During the production of Indulekha Bringha Oil, the Swethakutaja leaves are dipped in pure coconut milk oil (prepared by cold process technology). This prolonged blending process helps to extract the entire medicinal quality of the leaves and thus makes it an effective ingredient of Indulekha Bringha Oil. Active ingredients along with the base oil create an excellent combination that is extremely beneficial for hair.
#3 Blue Nectar Ayurvedic Hair Repair and Treatment Oil.
Base Oil – Coconut oil and Sesame oil
Herbal Ingredients : Contains 9 Vital Ayurvedic Herbs like Bringhraj, Anantmool, Amla, Mulethi or Yashtimadhu (Licorice), Neel Patra (indigo), Malkangani.
Speciality : 100% Natural and Ayurvedic Hair Oil. Ayurvedic herbs are dipped overnight and boiled till half of total volume is remaining. In cooled mixture, Malkagani, Rosemary, Coconut, Sesame and Lavendar Oil are mixed in sterilized manner. It is Paraffin Free/ Mineral Oil free / SLS Paraben Free
#4 Dolence clover Onion Oil
Herbal Ingredients – Red Onion, Vitamin E, Extracts of Amla, Brahmi, Isoamyl laurate, Indian margosa tree (Neem), Bhringraj, Hibiscus, Peppermint, thyme, gingseng
Speciality of this oil – Dolence Clover Onion Oil contains pure Onion, and 15 other natural herbs .It is Harsh chemical free (SLS, Parabens, Silicone, DEA/MEA, Gluten).No mineral oil, no sulphates. Since it contains neem, it is specially made to control dandruff.
#5 GALORE Multipurpose Multivitamin Pure Onion Hair Growth Dandruff Control Hair oil
Base Oil : Coconut Oil ,Cold Pressed castor Oil , Sesame Oil, Olive Oil, Sunflower Oil, Sweet almond Oil, Jojoba Oil, Argan oil, Onion Oil, Neem oil, Bhringraj Oil, Tea Tree oil, Cedarwood Oil, Amla oil
Herbal Ingredients: Neem, Bhringaraj, amla, Onion
Speciality : According to them Galore Onion Hair Oil is Multi Purpose oil like, Dandruff free | Treat Hair Loss/Fall | Thickness Hair | Accelerate Hair Growth.
- Paraben Free | 100% Chemical Free | Sulfate Free
- Light-Feeling & Non-Greasy – leave your hair feeling moisturized and grease-free. A little goes a long way.
- Each of these Multi purpose Onion Hair Oil provides intense nourishment to the scalp, stimulates hair growth, strengthen hair roots and improves alopecia condition and other Reduces hair loss.
- It stimulates your scalp and improves the circulation of blood, resulting in it follicles that are well-nourished.
# 6 Life & Pursuits Organic Hair Oil for Hair Growth, Anti Hair Fall & Dandruff Control.
Base Oils – Organic coconut oil, Organic castor oil, Organic tulsi oil, Organic patchouli oil
Herbal ingredients: bhringaraj, bramhi , hibiscus , neem , methi , amla
Speciality – Life & Pursuits Bhringraj Scalp Therapy, organic hair oil is a magical elixir for hair growth, scalp nutrition, hair fall control and dandruff. Hair growth oil an unique blend of cold-pressed certified organic oils infused with authentic Ayurveda herbs. Its deep revitalization effect on scalp promotes shiny, healthy and dense hair growth. It meets the international organic standards of USA, Europe & India. This natural hair oil has more than 95% certified organic ingredients and effiective hair care oils.
Life & Pursuits’ offers internationally ‘Certified Organic’ & natural wellness and personal care products. Our products are certified by USDA (USA) & NATRUE (Europe), the most stringent and reputed organic certification programs globally. We have integrated ancient wisdom of Indian Ayurveda and the modern science. “Organic Ayurveda”
# 7 Kesh King Ayurvedic Anti Hair fall Hair Oil,
Base oil – Sesame seed oil
Herbal Ingredients : Contains the goodness of 21 Ayurvedic herbs like Bhringraja, Amalaki, Methi, Brahmi, Japa, Lodhra, Manjistha, Jatamansi
Speciality – Selected 21 herbs are picked up from the purest sources with “Mantrocharan,” ensuring the benefits of herbs are retained. These are processed using Tel Pak Vidhi in which herbs are boiled in Sesame seed oil for hours under rigorous conditions to absorb goodness of the herbs in the final product. Kesh King now comes with a revolutionary DEEP ROOT COMB TM that helps to enhances micro circulation on the scalp & allows targeted oil application at the roots for perfect penetration.
Clinically proven to be 2 times more effective than other ayurvedic oils,
Benefits of massaging scalp with ayurvedic Hair oils
The skin of the scalp comprises primarily of the inner dermis and the outer epidermis. The hair that grows out of scalp can be divided into two parts, the root and shaft. The root part of hair is in the skin (epidermis) of scalp. The hair root is surrounded by a pouch like structure called follicle. The base of hair root is in the shape of a bulb. This bulb is indented by capillaries and nerve fibers. The cells in the center of bulb divide. The newly divided hair cells push the previous cells up. The cells which move upwards die slowly forming hard hair shaft.
Scalp has to be massaged regularly with herbal oils to keep the scalp skin and hair follicles healthy. The following steps have to be followed while massaging scalp.
- Select the herbal oil which is suitable for your scalp skin type.
- The hair oil has to be warmed before applying it on scalp. Boil water in a big vessel. Pour hair oil to a small stainless steel bowl. Keep this bowl in hot water till oil becomes warm. Never heat oil directly on stove. Direct heating strips away the essential nutrients in the hair oil.
- Apply this warm herbal oil on scalp with the help of cotton balls. Dip the cotton ball in oil , part the hair carefully and apply oil by smearing the ball along the hairline . Apply hair oil to the entire scalp skin.
- Now massage the scalp with finger tips exerting moderate pressure. The finger tips should be moved in circular motion.
Benefits of scalp massage
- Scalp massage increases blood supply to scalp skin and increases supply of nutrients to hair follicles.
- .According to texts of ayurveda, massaging scalp with herbal oil normalizes vata and reduces hair loss, drying of hair and increases hair growth. The herbs in hair oil boost the scalp skin health. Scalp massage with herbal oil, prevents drying of scalp and dandruff formation. Ayurveda acharyas recommend applying oil to scalp to balance all three doshas in head and neck region.
- Scalp massage reduces stress. Correspondingly, reduction of stress lowers the level of cortisol (stress hormone). Low cortisol level in blood promotes hair growth.
- Scalp massage also help in release of “feel good” hormones known as endorphins which help to elevate one’s mood.
- Last but not least the Scalp massage helps one get a good night’s sleep.