- Black gram or urad dal – 1 cup
- Water – 2 ½ cups
- Olive oil or ghee – ½ table spoon
- Cumin seeds – ½ tea spoon
- Crushed pepper corns – 5-10
- Curry leaves – 10 in number
- Coriander leaves – 1 table spoon finely chopped
- Onion– one medium sized finely chopped
- Garlic – 1 clove
- Asafetida – 1 pinch
- Turmeric – 1 pinch
- Rock salt or sendha namak– according to taste.
Wash urad dal and pressure cook with water till it becomes tender. Heat oil or ghee in a wok and add cumin seeds. When these seeds splutter add crushed pepper corns, curry leaves, garlic, onions and turmeric. Fry them well till onion becomes transparent. Add cooked urad dal and salt. Stir well and garnish with coriander leaves.
Black gram or Urad dal is known as Masha. This pulse is widely used in ayurvedic Vajikarana Therapy. It rejuvenates complete body and helps to gain weight. Texts of ayurveda eulogize the aphrodisiac properties of black gram. It increases sperm count and sperm motility. It is the best herb for erectile dysfunction. Consumption of this pulse increases quality and quantity of milk in lactating mothers. Urad dal increases bulk of fecal matter and relieves constipation.
This soup increases kapha and pitta, but normalizes vata. Along with other ingredients it detoxifies body and boosts energy levels.
- Persons who have tendency to gain weight or already have problem of obesity should not consume this frequently. This soup may increase the problems of digestive system like indigestion, acidity, bloating or flatulence.
- This soup should not be consumed with fish, yogurt , cheese or brinjal. These form opposite food combination and may initiate accumulation of toxins in body.