We all know obesity is a global major health concern. Population of obese people have increased by leaps and bounds. Changed diet, globalization, introduction of packaged, processed high calorie food, stress, artificial beverages, sedentary lifestyle etc. contribute to obesity. Let us know in detail the causes of obesity.
Causes of obesity as explained by present day health experts
- Increased intake of high calorie foods- When a person consumes more calories than he burns then the excess calories get stored in the form of fat causing obesity. These calories are supplied through processed foods, ready to eat food supplies and junk foods.
- Genetic factors–Obesity tends to run in families. If parents are fat then the offspring also show a tendency to accumulate fat. Even the diet and lifestyle habits which are practiced in family also contribute to obesity.
- Environment. – A person’s eating habits and the level of physical activities a person has also contribute for excess deposition of fat. When a person eats food containing more calories and has a sedentary work then the calories consumed are more than calories burnt. The excess amount calories are stored as fat.
- Psychological disturbances.- There is a tendency to over eat in response to negative emotions like boredom, sadness or anger. This leads to obesity. Stress is also a major cause of obesity
- Binge eating disorder.-Binge eating is eating even when you are full and cannot stop eating. Eating more even when you are not hungry.
- Diseases and conditions like Hypothyroidism, Cushing’s syndrome, Depression, and certain neurological problems lead to overeating which in turn leads to accumulation of fat.
- Medicines such as steroids and some antidepressants may cause weight gain.
Causes of obesity as explained in Ayurveda
The causes of obesity are very clearly explained in ayurveda. The following reasons which are mentioned in ayurveda increase the deposition of fat and make you obese.
Madhuroannarasaha prayaha snehamedhovivardhati ||
According to ayurveda the causes of obesity are defined as :
- Avyayama : Not exerting physically.Vyayama is exercising. Avyayama is not exercising or sedentary lifestyle. Texts of Ayurveda recommend to include vyayama or exercises in our daily routine. Regular exercise for 30 to 45 minutes like brisk walk (Click here for Benefits of daily brisk walking) is very essential to keep ourselves healthy. Not exerting physically or avyayama reduces fat metabolism and the consumed food gets converted to fat and leads to obesity.
- Divaswapna: Sleeping in daytime .Execess sleep also leads to obesity. Sleeping in day time is still harmful. Day is meant to keep ourselves active. Most of the food we consumed get burnt and utilized to liberate energy in day time. When you sleep in day time for more hours the food we consumed does not get converted to energy, instead get stored as body fat. Hence Sleeping in afternoon is strictly a no no for normal persons.
- Shleshmala Ahara Vihara : The diet and life styles which increase Kapha dosha also increase body fat. High calorie foods like sweets, oily foods and processed foods increase kapha dosha.
- Madhura Annaha : Madhura Anna means foods which are sweet to taste and loaded with calories. These foods pump excess calories to body which lead to fat deposition.