Curd and sugar is savoured and liked by everybody. Curd (Yogurt) and sugar or dahi with shakkar is a favourite combination of Indians. Curd with sugar has various health benefits. Curd and sugar should not be eaten at night. Here goes the list of health benefits of this cool shot
Table of content
The combination of dahi (curd or yogurt) and shakkar (sugar) has many health benefits.
Curd or Yogurt at night for Yogis
According to texts of ayurveda curd or yogurt should not be consumed at night. While explaining dinacharya or ayurvedic daily routine acharyas emphasise on not eating yogurt at night. It imbalances agni and throws digestion off balance. Consuming yogurt at night is a strict no to yogis as it leads to generation of ama or body toxin.
How to prepare dahi shakkar?
The preparation of this energising cooling recipe is very simple. Just grab these ingredients to mix your own cooling recipe.
Thick Curd or Plain Yogurt – 1 cup
Sugar – 1-2 tea spoons
Cardamom powder – 1 pinch
Mix Curd, sugar and cardamom powder (Read Ayurveda Health benefits of Cardamom) well in a cup and eat it with a spoon. Sugar provides instant energy in any season. Our body loses minerals and water through sweating in summer, after heavy house work or a tiring work out. This makes man tiered and thirsty. This preparation instantly boosts energy and reduces body fatigue. Sugar which has Madhura rasa or sweet taste increases energy according to principles of ayurveda
Health Benefits of Curd and Sugar
- This preparation is one of the ayurveda cooling foods.
- It is one among stomach cooling foods. It cools body, reduces acidity and burning sensation in stomach.
- It reduces pitta dosha and hence considered as cooling food for pitta. Ayurveda text books recommend consuming this combination at the end of meals.
- It takes care of instant glucose supply to body.
- It is a ritual in India to serve curd with sugar to a person who has to attend an important meeting or appear in an examination. This takes care of energy supply to brain and body.
- According to text books of ayurveda, it keeps intestinal problems at bay during summer
- People suffering from diabetes should be very cautious while using this recipe.
- Dahi with sugar keeps the bladder cool and prevents irritation of bladder which usually happens in summer. This is a very good remedy for Cystitis and UTI
- Yogurt is a good source of vitamins like vitamin A, vitamin E, vitamin C, folate (HPLC), niacin, riboflavine, thiamin (vitamin B1), vitamin B-12 (cobalamin), vitamers pyridoxine (hydrochloride), carotenoids.
- Curd is composed of good bacteria which aid in process of digestion. These bacteria protect the lining of the intestine and also immunise it from probable cancer and other forms of irritation. Ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s disease and intestinal cancer are some of the intestinal diseases, and good bacteria immunise the intestine against them.
- Probiotics maintain growth of bacteria in the colon. Probiotics refers to the good bacteria living in the colon and their helpful activities often leading to the good health of the intestine. Curd is a probiotic. Daily intake of curd brings about immense health benefits.
- The protein in curd is easily digestible in comparison to that found in milk. It is found that a majority of curd is digested for the same time that a quarter of the same quantity of milk is digested.
- The mix of sugar and curd can be used as Vajikarana therapy which is an herbal remedy for erectile dysfunction. Curd is also used in various ayurvedic home remedies for erectile dysfunction.
- Curd helps to increase quality and quantity of semen.
When you should not eat Curd and Sugar ?
- This combination should never be used at night.
- Keep this cool shot at bay when you have cold and cough.
- If you are a diabetic do not eat this.
- This combination should not be consumed if you are on a weight loss diet as it adds lots of calories.
- Never heat or boil this combination before eating.
- Strictly say no to this if you have kidney stones
- Use this sparingly during winter months.
- Do not eat the frozen form of this combination.
Consult Dr.Savitha Suri for ayurvedic remedies. Email firstname.lastname@example.org . WhatsApp + 91 6360108663
Author : Dr. Savitha Suri Consultant Ayurvedic Physician
Free Ayurvedic Consultation
Call us at +91 9945995660 / +91 9448433911
Whats App + 91 6360108663/