South Indian diet is entirely different from that of north India. The diabetic Diet for South Indian population is healthy and tasty. The vegetarian south Indian diabetic menu is healthier than other diets.
Table of Contents
Before pondering about the south Indian diabetic diet plan please note these thumb rules for diabetes diet chart
1. A strict no for sweets, chocolates, ice creams, jams, jellies etc
3. Divide your diet in 5-6 small portions spread over a day. The best way is 3 small meals 2 healthy snacks.
5. Walk minimum 5 kilometers per day (Also read Benefits of walking for men suffering from Impotence )
Here is an example for south Indian diabetes diet plan. Please consult your physician or qualified dietician before implementing any diet plans.
South Indian vegetarian diabetic diet chart
Early morning south Indian drink for diabetes
Many herbs and vegetables which are used in south indian families are helpful to control blood sugar level.
Karela Juice :
Grind 1/4 cup of finely chopped karela or bitter gourd in mixer. Add a glass of water and strain this juice to remove fiber. Thus can be taken early morning. Karela is the main ingredient of ayurvedic PCOS Diet
Methi or Fenugreek
Grind dry methi seeds and store in an air tight container. Mix 2 tea spoons of this in a glass of water. This can be consumed in empty stomach. This is very helpful for persons who suffer from haemorrhoids and constipation.
Tender Neem Leaves
Tender neem leaves help to reduce blood sugar level. Chew 10 to 12 tender neem leaves in empty stomach.
South Indian vegetarian Breakfast for diabetes (normal serving) –
1. Chose any one of these -3idlis /2 dosas/ 1 small plate upama/ 1 small plate pongal/ two chapathis (without oil)/ whole wheat bread – 3 slices/
2. Chutney or sambar can be opted for side dish.
4. Tea / low fat skimmed milk/ water (without sugar or honey)
Foods that can be used in South Indian Mid noon snacks for diabetes:
Midnoon snacks are the small bites of food which are consumed in the gap of breakfast and lunch.
A glass of butter milk (without salt) / green tea (without sugar or honey)/ 1 orange/1 sweet lime / 2 diet marie biscuits can be used as mid noon snacks.
Skip fruits if you have consumed fruits for breakfast.
Diabetic Lunch – South Indian vegetarian meal plan:
1. Brown rice / broken wheat rice – 1 1/2 cup
2. Thick vegetable sambar -1 big bowl
3. Mixed vegetable curry – 1 cup
4. Rasam – 1cup
5. Roasted papad -1
6. Butter milk -1 cup
7. Fruits (papaya, sweet lime, orange) – ½ cup
Tea/coffee/ low fat skimmed milk (without sugar) – 1 cup with 2 diet Marie biscuit / 2 rusks
South Indian Dinner for diabetes (2 hours before going to bed):
1. chapathi (without oil)- 1
2. Mixed vegetable curry/subzi – 1 cup
3. Brown rice / broken wheat rice/ green gram pongal/ – 1 cup
4. Rasam – 1cup
5. Roasted papad -1
Before going to bed:
1 apple / ½ cup papaya/ 1 sweet lime/ 1 orange/
Some More Tips to be added in south Indian diabetic diet chart
- If you have difficulty in sleeping you can drink warm turmeric milk without sugar. This not only provides nutrients but also helps to prevent frequent fluctuation of blood sugar.
- Add spices like ginger, turmeric, black cardamom , cinnamon, cardamom etc in diet
- Use vegetables like Karela or bitter gourd or bitter melon, cluster beans, onion, garlic, palak or spinach and Methi. Do not forget to use methi seeds and its sprouts.
- Include fruits like papaya, amla, sweet lime or orange in diet.
- You can use nuts like walnuts, almonds, pistachios in your snacks.
(Whats App Dr.Savitha Suri @+ 91 6360108663/ to know more about ayurvedic treatments and remedies )
Call us at +91 9945995660 / +91 9448433911
Whats App + 91 6360108663/