Lemon and honey for weight loss – Lemon and honey with warm water is a popular weight loss drink. Many people have the habit of consuming this drink in early morning in empty stomach. Does this drink help to reduce weight? Let us analyse this through Ayurveda perspective.
It is very common to see people consuming lemon, honey and warm water first thing in morning as a weight loss drink. Does this help in weight loss ? Let us analyse this based on principles of ayurveda.
Table of content
Medicinal Properties of Lemon for weight loss
Based on principles of Ayurveda lemon is sour (amla Rasa) ( Read Amla rasa or Sour Taste in Ayurveda ) to taste and has tissue piercing property (teekshna). It has hot potency (ushna veerya) and boosts agni or body metabolism ( read Ayurveda Agni or Body Fire or Metabolism and Digestion Process ). Due to these qualities it acts on kapha dosha ( Read Kapha Dosha Types, Qualities, Functions and Sites in Ayurveda ) and helps to reduce it. Body fat ( or medha dhatu in ayurveda) is directly proportional to kapha dosha. When kapha dosha increases body fat also increases and vice versa. Since lemon reduces kapha, it obviously reduces body fat and can be used in ayurvedic treatment for obesity .
Apart from these lemon juice detoxifies the body and boosts its immunity ( Read Boost Immunity Through Ayurveda – Foods and Herbs ). It expels the toxins and cleanse the tissues. The juice of lemon helps to reduce cholesterol ( Read Ayuredic Tips to Reduce Blood Cholesterol ) and aids in liver detox ( Read Ayurvedic Liver Detox at Home ) and pancreas. The high level of citric acid present in lemon acts as an important component of citric acid cycle in body which helps to breakdown fats, carbohydrates and proteins. Lemon also acts as diuretic and expels excess water ( read Water – the Elixir of Life- An Ayurveda View ) stored in body.
According to new researches lemon juice by itself does not burn body fat. But it increases rate of metabolism and helps to burn fat stores of body. When rate of metabolism increases it generates heat. This process uses the stored body fat. Hence we can experience weight loss. Many nutritionists opine that drinking lemon water is a natural way to lose weight. (Check 5 best ayurvedic weight loss secretes)
Medicinal Properties of Honey for Weight Loss
In Ayurveda honey ( Read Ayurveda Health Benefits and Uses of Honey )is called as “Madhu”. Its qualities are explained as follows.
“It has sweetness (madhura rasa) ( Read Ayurveda Sweet Taste – Madhura Rasa ) with added astringent as end taste (Kashaya anu rasa)( Read Ayurveda tastes – kashaya rasa ). It is heavy (guru guna), dry (ruksha ) and cold (sheeta veerya). Its effect on doshas is as follows
- Honey aggravates vata dosha ( Read Ayurveda Vata Dosha – Body Type and Balancing Tips ),
- Scrapes kapha and
- Normalizes pitta dosha ( Read Ayurveda Pitta Dosha , Its Types, Pitta Diet ) and rakta or blood ( Read Rakta Dhatu ( Blood ) In Ayurveda ).
- It promotes healing process.”
Since honey scrapes kapha, it also aids in scraping of stored fat. Honey contains Sugars like fructose, glucose, sucrose, maltose, lactose and other disaccharides and trisaccharides, Proteins, fats, vitamins, minerals, enzymes and amino acids., Volatile aromatic substances. Ashes and water etc. These things impart a high nutritional and medicinal value for the sweet nectar.
Thus the combination of lemon and honey in water make a perfect weight loss drink.
How to prepare an effective lemon and honey drink ? lemon honey water recipe for weight loss
Take 200 ml of water (approximately one glass). Water must be little warm. Squeeze half lime to it and add 5 ml of honey. Stir it well. Drink this daily in empty stomach preferably in early morning before going for a morning walk ( Read Benefits and Advantages of Daily Brisk Walking ). Make this regular in your ayurvedic daily routine or dinacharya.
Who can Use Lemon and Honey in Warm Water ?
- Persons who are on weight loss diet.
- Men who are suffering from erectile dysfunction due to obesity ( Read Relationship Between Obesity and Erectile Dysfunction (Impotence) ).
- Men who suffer from low sperm count due to obesity ( Read Obesity and Low Sperm Count- An Ayurveda View ).
- Women with PCOS or PCOD can use this as ayurvedic treatment at home. ( Read Ayurvedic Treatment for PCOS or PCOD at Home )
- Diabetic men who are suffering with erectile dysfunction due to diabetes ( Read Natural Ayurvedic Remedies for Erectile Dysfunction in Diabetes ) can use this without honey.
- Athletes who want a regular ayurvedic daily body detox ( Read Ayurvedic Daily Detox at Home for Weight Loss ).
- Never mix lemon and honey in hot water. The medicinal properties of honey and lemon get destroyed in hot water.
- If you have acidity, stomach ulcer and gas, do not use this drink as it may exaggerate symptoms.
Whats App or email Dr.Savitha Suri @ [email protected],
+ 91 6360108663/ to know more about ayurvedic treatment for weight loss.
Author : Dr. Savitha Suri Consultant Ayurvedic Physician
Free Ayurvedic Consultation
Call us at +91 9945995660 / +91 9448433911
Whats App + 91 6360108663/