Ghee is known as ghrita in Sanskrit . Ayurvedic acahryas have given top priority to ghee for its medicinal qualities. In Ashtanga Hridaya acharya Vagbhata elaborates the therapeutical properties of pure ghee. He says “Ghee increases intelligence, memory power and grasping capacity. It nourishes shukra dhatu. (Nourished shukra dhatu increases sperm count and reduces incidences of erectile dysfunction). This fat is ideal for children, aged and recuperating persons. When ghee is used in suitable amount it increases fairness, modulates voice, slows down aging process and increases vigor. Ghee when used with other medicinal herbs helps to cure thousand of diseases”
Ghee is heavily used in ayurvedic preparations. These preparations are used in treating conditions like psoriasis, bronchitis, arthritis, low sperm count, erectile dysfunction, herpes, indigestion etc. Ghee lubricates connective tissues and eases all movements. It carries the therapeutical ingredients of herbs to target tissues. Since cell walls are made up of lipids, it becomes easy for ghee to penetrate these walls through its lipophilic action. (lipids = fats, lipophilic = affinity to fats).
Does Ghee Increase Blood cholesterol?
Previously many western researchers pointed at ghee as a fat which increases cholesterol. But latest scientific studies show that using ghee in limited quantities does not raise blood cholesterol. The benefits of ghee can be harnessed when it is used judiciously. Our ancestors used ghee in plenty and still led a healthy long life. The coronary heart diseases in India began three to four decades ago when traditional fats were replaced by refined fats and hydrogenated oils. Fast foods and high caloric beverages also contribute to high cholesterol level and obesity.
Dos and don’ts for using ghee:
- The thumb rule is to always consume puree ghee.
- Consume only 10 gms ( 2 tea spoons) of ghee per day.
- Increase your physical activities when you consume this fat. This helps in proper digestion and utilization of consumed ghee.
- People who follow sedentary lifestyle are advised not to use this.
- Always use ghee prepared from a reliable source. Preparing this at home is still better.
- Never purchase ghee from an unknown source as it may be adulterated with vanaspathi.
Benefits of ghee
- It eases digestion and bowel movement.
- It promotes eye and skin health.
- Ghee heals stomach ulcers and external wounds.
- This fat is rich in anti oxidants and helps in absorption of nutrients.
- It boosts immune system and provides energy to body.
- It promotes health of brain cells and boosts memory power.
- Ghee prevents growth of cancerous cells and acts as anti microbial.