Ayurveda broadly classifies reasons for claibya or erectile dysfunction as due to advanced age, under nourishment , trauma to reproductive tissues and reduced shukra dhatu.
Table of content
Ayurvedic Causes for Erectile Dysfunction
There are numerous causes for ED and PE. Ayurveda mentions four types of causes
Jaraja Claibya – Ayurvedic definition of ED due to Old age
Acharya charaka has given a detailed answer for question What Causes Erectile Dysfunction in Older Males ? . According to Charaka samhita the age related sexual dysfunction occurs due to following reasons. Read More
Kshayaja Klaibya – Erectile dysfunction due to under nourishment
Texts of ayurveda describe the fourth type of impotence called “kshayaja klaibya”. The reduction in quality and quantity of semen is the reason for this type of erectile dysfunction. The following factors harm semen quality and quantity.
- Worrying continuously about everything.
- Repeated experience of grief.
- Uncontrolled anger and anxiety.
- Fear of facing problems.
- Addiction to alcohol, marijuana and other drugs.
- Consumption of unhealthy and non nourishing foods.
- Repeated fasting when the body is undernourished.
The above mentioned factors reduce the quantity and quality of rasa dhathu.
Rasa dhathu is the first dhatu which is formed when food is digested. Rasa dhatu is full of nutrients and the successive dhatus like
- Rakta (Rakta Dhatu ( Blood ) In Ayurveda ),
- Mamsa (Ayurveda definition of Mamsa Dhatu ( Muscle tissue ) ),
- Medha ( Ayurveda Medha Dhatu or Body Fat ),
- Asthi ( Ayurveda Definition of Asthi Dhatu ( Bones or Skeletal system ) ),
- Majja (Ayurveda definition of Majja Dhatu ( Bone marrow ) ) and
- Shukra (Ayurveda Definition of Shukra Dhatu (semen ) )
get nutrients from rasa dhathu. Shukra dhatu is the last tissue to get nourished. When the quality of rasa dhatu is poor the nourishment which reaches shukra dhatu will also be poor. Thus the quantity and quality of shukra dhatu reduces leading to claibya or Erectile Dysfunction.
This type of erectile dysfunction occurs when a person suffers from chronic diseases, diabetes , obesity , tuberculosis etc. A good nutritious diet helps to overcome this condition. Ayurveda acharyas recommend many herbal remedies and treatment for erectile dysfunction of this type. The ayurveda diet for this type of erectile dysfunction is very helpful to overcome this condition.
Dhvajabhangaja klaibya – Impotence due to tissue injury.
When tissues of male reproductive system undergo degeneration or experience trauma , men experience “dhvajabhangaja Klaibya” . Numerous causes like chronic diseases, hunger, trauma to penile tissues etc can cause this type of erectile dysfunction in young men .
According to texts of ayurveda, injury to male genital organ can cause erectile dysfunction. This injury may be due to trauma, infections, chronic diseases or imbalance of doshas . Thus when there is a failure to achieve proper supply of blood to male organ system, the erectile dysfunction sets in. This type of sexual dysfunction is known as “Dhwajabhanga claibya” in ayurveda. The reasons for this type of erectile dysfunction are explained in texts of ayurveda as follows.
Increased consumption of foods which are of amla rasa or sour ( Amla rasa or Sour Taste in Ayurveda ), saline and opposite in nature disturb natural balance of doshas. Intake of deep fried foods and fast foods which increase acidity also imbalance the body functions.
These foods create and acidic environment in body. When a body’s internal environment is acidic, it creates a convenient atmosphere for viruses and bacteria. These micro organisms enter the body and begin to flourish. This process lowers the body immunity , reduces body energy level, cause tiredness, frequent illness etc. Thus lowered body energy weakens the muscles of male genital organ causing erectile dysfunction
Irregular consumption of food:
When food is not taken timely, it causes indigestion. According to principles of ayurveda indigestion causes accumulation of metabolic toxin “ama”. This sticky toxin blocks the movement of vital forces and imbalances transmission of nerve signals. This leads to sexual dysfunction in men.
Foods which are heavy to digest:
Frequent consumption of heavy meal which cause indigestion and accumulation of body fat lead to obesity. This condition also causes accumulation of cholesterol in blood vessels. It is a known fact that increased cholesterol is the culprit behind erectile dysfunction . Apart from this obesity can also pave way for diabetes. Diabetes and erectile dysfunction go hand in hand, as diabetes damages nerve endings and affects blood supply.
Diseases like tuberculosis which cause emaciation can also damage male sexual function. In chronic diseases the tissues of body and male reproductive system are damaged due to undernourishment. This damage imbalances men health.
Trauma during intercourse:
During intercourse male genital organ can suffer injuries. Improper lubrication, scratches, bites etc can damage tissues.
Apart from these unhygienic practices, having sexual relationship with diseased partner, trauma to genital area in accidents etc can also cause the above mentioned type of erectile dysfunction.
Bijopaghataja Klaibya –
This type of impotence is caused due to reduction in quality of semen. When male reproductive system is deprived of essential nutrients the quality of semen or shukra suffers.
According to ayurveda acharya charaka , when quantity and quality of semen reduces, erectile dysfunction sets in. The reasons for reduction in semen which cause erectile dysfunction in men are as follows.
- Consumption of following types of foods can cause in reduction of semen.
- Foods which are sticky or paste like,
- Very little quantity of food.
- Polluted or spoilt.
- Opposite foods
- Refrigerated foods.
- Eating repeatedly without giving room for digestion of previous meals can be detrimental to health. This type of eating habit paves way for indigestion. Indigestion results in production and accumulation of ama, the body toxin. Accumulation of such toxins harms normal body function. Normal production of semen suffers the brunt of accumulation of toxins.
- Psychological disturbances like grief, depression, stress, anxiety, fear and terror can disturb healthy body. Psychological disturbances affect body to a great extent causing stress. Stress releases cortisol hormones which cause degeneration of body tissues and male reproductive system is not an exception for this.
- Uncontrolled sexual activities like repeated intercourse and masturbation can cause reduction in quantity of semen.
- Reduced nutrition in diet can cause decline in quality of semen. Malnourishment leads to diminution of rasa dhatu which supplies nutrients to tissues.
- Unhealthy diet and lifestyle leads to imbalance of doshas. This in turn leads to dosha vitiation. Dosha vitiation affects normal production of semen
- Fasting for long durations or starvation is another cause for low semen quality. Due to Fasting or starvation nutrition level in rasa dhatu nose dives, affecting the quality and quantity of semen.
- Disliking towards sexual partner can influence shukra dhatu.
- Wrongly administered panchakarma therapy can also cause reduction of semen. This also harms the quality of beeja or sperms.
Other Causes of Erectile Dysfunction or Impotence
Lowered level of testosterone hormone:
Low level of testosterone hormone causes metabolic disturbances leading to obesity, depression, loss of sensitivity of nerves (especially in male genital organ), atrophy of penile muscles, shrinkage of testicles, low energy level, loss of stamina and concentration. The metabolic disturbances so caused due to low testosterone leads to type 2 diabetes, increased blood cholesterol level, and heart and vascular diseases. All these factors lead to loss of libido and erectile dysfunction.
Over exertion physically and mentally:
Mental and physical exertion use up complete energy of body. If body is not allowed to rest and relax, it leads to erectile dysfunction
Mental stress at home and working place:
A good erection requires a sequence of events which involves body and mind. When mind is stressed for a long time body releases stress hormones which inhibit the process of erection.
Working for long hours and insufficient sleep. :
Lack of sleep causes over exhaustion of body tissues. Over exhaustion lead to stress and stress related erectile dysfunction
Strained relationship with sexual partner.:
A good relationship with partner is very essential to stimulate mind and prepare mind for sexual act. Ayurveda acharyas praise women as best aphrodisiac. A strained relationship with partner can cause erectile dysfunction.
Short temperedness continuously disturbs mind and causes stress.
A past history of sexual abuse.:
Sexual abuses leave a scar in mind which blocks mind towards sexual acts and feelings causing erectile dysfunction.
Diabetes affects distal nerve endings of skin. The damaged nerve endings fail to pass signals from skin to brain. when nerves on skin of penis is affected the brain fails to transfer the sensation of touch thus causing ED
Diseases related to cardiovascular system.:
Diseases related to cardiovascular system like atherosclerosis cause insufficient blood supply to genital organ . Reduced blood supply hampers quality of hardness leading to erectile dysfunction
hypothyroidism, Parkinson’s disease, anemia, depression, arthritis and endocrine disorders. are other health conditions in which men fail to attain sufficient erection.
Trauma to pelvic region.
Accidents, surgery etc may damage nerves spread in pelvic region. The damaged nerves block signals from brain to genital organ . This causes loss of erection.
Tranquilizers and antihypertensive medicines for a long time can also cause impotence
Tobacco and Smoking :
Addiction to tobacco especially smoking quickens deposition of cholesterol in arteries. Thus arteries in male genital organ get blocked and quantity of blood flow to penile spongy tissues reduce. Thus improper erection surfaces.
Excessive consumption of alcohol. :
Increased intake of alcohol damages liver , brain and nervous system. It also makes a person to develop anxiety and leading to failure in performance.
Addiction to cocaine, heroin and marijuana.:
The addiction to these drugs creates depression and suppression of nervous system and urges.
Obesity leads to accumulation of cholesterol in arteries and reduces level of male hormone
Prolonged bicycle riding :
Can cause damage to testes and production of testosterone
Ayurvedic Herbal remedies for erectile dysfunction:
· Consuming herbal preparations to rejuvenate the reproductive organs and improve the levels of testosterone hormone.
· Avoiding the consumption of alcohol, tobacco, heroin etc.
· Exercise regularly.
· Avoid hot, spicy and bitter foods.
· Favor sweets, milk products, nuts and urad dal .
· Add little ghee in your diet.
· Give a gap of four days between two consecutive intercourses.
· Practicing Yoga and Meditation to overcome mental exertion and to cope up with stress.
· Sleep at least for 8 hours a day
· Massaging the body and genital organs with a herbal oil, which gives a relief from physical exertion and also acts as an aphrodisiac.
Erectile dysfunction Remedy – Increasing Erection with herbal preparations.
Due to male impotence there will be sexual dysfunction. Even though the person has normal sexual drive , the penis does not get the required hardness to perform the intercourse. This makes it difficult to start or finish the intercourse. This is called as erectile dysfunction. As the age advances the chances of erectile dysfunction increases.
Charaka has mentioned numerous herbal remedies for erectile dysfunction which contain natural aphrodisiacs. These preparations enhance one’s potency by leaps and bounds. The herbal preparations which have been mentioned in ayurveda as remedy for erectile dysfunction increase the span of erection , hardness and prevent premature ejaculation. These preparations rejuvenate the male reproductive system .
Whats App + 91 – 9945995660 to know more about treatments for ED and PE
Call us at +91 9945995660 / +91 9448433911