Garlic has immense medicinal value. It is used as main ingredient in many ayurvedic preparations.
Preparation of Garlic coconut spread (garlic dry chutney)
1. ½ dry grated coconut
2. Dry Red chillies –(according to taste)
3. Garlic cloves – 8 to 10
4. Sugar – ½ tea spoon
5. Tamarind – a small grape size
6. Salt – quantity required
7. Cumin seeds (jeera) – 1 tea spoon
8. Coriander seeds ( Dhaniya ) – 1 tea spoon
9. Sunflower oil – 1 tea spoon
Place a thick bottom frying pan on stove. When it heats up, pour oil into it. Simmer the flame. Fry, red chillies, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, dry coconut and tamarind till coconut becomes little crisp. Transfer this to a plate and wait till it reaches room temperature. Blend all other ingredients along with fried ones in a blender to get a coarse powder.
Few medicinal properties of Garlic spread
The anti inflammatory property of garlic is helpful in reducing joint pain in conditions like arthritis. The recipes which contain garlic are regularly administered to new mothers as it reduces inflammation of uterus, back pain and normalizes vata. Garlic also increases sperm count, sperm motility and helps in erectile dysfunction. Hence it is helpful for men who suffer from impotence.
Jeera (cumin seeds) and Garlic in this preparation help in conditions like indigestion, constipation, loss of appetite, piles and intestinal parasites. Regular use of garlic helps to prevent skin diseases. Persons suffering from chronic cough can reap the benefits of garlic.
Dry coconut provides plenty of dietary fibers. Dietary fibers help to reduce risk of heart diseases, cancer and reduce blood sugar. Coconut helps to increase intestinal friendly bacteria which in turn help to improve health of intestines. Coconut also helps to expel intestinal parasites like tape worm.
Precautions to be observed while using garlic:
1. Do not use garlic when you consume alcohol, sour foods, milk or jaggery.
2. Avoid drinking plenty of water as soon as you consume garlic. A small glass of water will suffice.
3. Do not consume garlic when you are stressed or angry.
4. Avoid consumption of garlic after a heavy work out.
5. Do not consume garlic if you are working in environment with high temperatures.
6. Always use dhaniya or coriander seeds along with garlic to reduce its untoward effects.
Dr.Savitha Suri is an ayurvedic Consultant Physician. She has an experience of 26 years in the field of ayurveda. The content is copyrighted to Dr.Savitha Suri and may not be reproduced on other websites. You can contact her for free online ayurvedic consultations at email@example.com .
WhatsApp@ : +91-6360108663
Follow Dr. Savitha Suri on Google Plus