Hair also eulogised as crowning glory is an important beauty component. It is very essential to take care of hair, as healthy hair improves confidence and enhances looks . Seasonal and weather changes can damage your hair to a great extent. You can take care of your crowning glory by following ayurvedic regimens according to seasons.
Table of content
How Seasons Affect Your Hair ?
According to the beauty experts, seasons play a big role on hair and scalp health. Let us take a quick look how natural weather affects your hair and its solutions.
In humid weather
When air is humid, the water vapour around us get deposited on our hair and alter it’s looks. If you have a dry hair, it absorbs more moisture and changes the structure of hair. When you have a fine hair, humidity can make it heavy and sticky. Humidity can make your thick hair more frizz.
In Windy Weather
Too much of wind can make your hair dry and brittle. It also makes hair knotty and tangled.
Hot and Dry Weather
Exposing hair to direct sunlight is extremely harmful to scalp and hair. It is as harsh as blow drying. UV rays from sunlight can alter the molecular structure of hair, which leads to dry, damaged and discoloured hair strands.
Hence Ayurveda acharyas advise to follow rutucharya (ayurvedic seasonal routine ) and Dinacharya (ayurvedic daily routine) to keep your hair and scalp healthy. Let us know how to take care of your mane according to seasons.
Hair care in winter and home remedies:
As the weather is cold and less humid during winters, sweating is considerably reduced. Therefore hair becomes less greasy and dirty. It does not require shampooing that often, so avoid over shampooing as this removes the vital natural oils. As the weather is naturally dry, take care to ensure that hair does not become too dry. To prevent dryness oil massage once a week is recommended. Massaging scalp with sesame oil ( Ayurveda Health Benefits of Sesame Seeds and Oil ), coconut oil ( Ayurveda Health Benefits of Coconut, Tender Coconut Water, Coconut Shell and Oil ) or castor oil ( Castor Oil for Psoriasis, Dry Skin, Wrinkles and Dark Circles ) , has immense benefits. Ayurvedic oils for skin and hair ( read 2 Best Ayurvedic Oils for Hair and Body ) can also be used. One should also use conditioners more frequently to maintain moisture levels.
- During winter ( How to Stay Healthy in Winter ? Ayurveda Care ) use a good hair conditioner daily. After applying good hair conditioner, lock the moisture by running the hair through cold water. This closes the hair cuticle and locks the moisture in .
- Allow your hair to dry naturally in winter.
- Do not go out with wet hair. This encourages splitting of hair.
- During winter limit the use of blow driers and curling iron.
- Cover your hair with a scarf or cap or hat. Take care not to wear too tight scarf, hat or cap. This restricts circulation to scalp.
- Always wash your hair with warm or cool water. Hot water shower damages skin and hair.
- Massage your hair with AloeVera ( Ayurveda Health Benefits and Uses of Aloevera ) juice. This replenishes moisture. AloeVera hair style gels are best choice
- Massage the scalp and hair with hair oil infused with vata dosha balancing ( Ayurveda Vata Dosha – Body Type and Balancing Tips ) and hair friendly herbs.
- Do this twice in a week. Do not leave your hair ,as winter damages the hair strands. Put a knot or plait it.
- Follow hemant rutucharya ( Hemantha Rutucharya – Seasonal Regimen for Hemanta Rutu ) and shishira rutucharya ( Shishira Rutucharya – A Healthy Lifestyle for Cold and Dry Weather )
Hair care in summer and home remedies:
The summer means heat, pollution and the inevitable sweat. The pores of the skin try to relive and cool the body by sweating. The scalp is no different. However, unlike the rest of the body where sweat evaporates easily, what makes sweat on the scalp more difficult to deal with is that it is harder for it to dry, as it is covered with hair. Because of pollution and sweat, hair needs to be washed more frequently in summer. In order to ensure that hair is not damaged by excessive washing, use a mild shampoo. It is also important to ensure that hairstyles are comfortable and keep the neck free form hair. Long hair can be tied off the nape of the neck. However, it is important to leave the hair open for sometime in order to let it dry out as excessive sweat and moisture can damage it. It is also advisable to use henna, as it removes extra oil and cools the scalp. Ayurvedic Hair masks ( 10 Best Ayurvedic Hair Masks for Hair Growth and Dandruff ) help to keep the scalp and hair healthy.
Hair care during the monsoon and home remedies:
Hair requires more attention during the rainy season, because of the additional humidity. Because of the additional moisture in air during monsoon , hair becomes oily and falls flat without any bounce. Usually, the texture of the hair becomes dull and lifeless. As the scalp sweats constantly, itchiness and scratching cause discomfort and hair loss. The seasonal hair loss does not require any treatment as the hair grows back again once the season is over. Avoid using mousse, gels and conditioners as far as possible. Also try not to have any chemical treatment done to hair during these months. Henna is a good conditioner to remove excessive oil and moisture. Follow Varsha rutucharya or Ayurveda Care During Monsoon ( Ayurveda Care During Monsoon- Varsha Rutucharya )
Consult Dr.Savitha Suri for ayurvedic remedies. Email [email protected] . WhatsApp + 91 6360108663
Author : Dr. Savitha Suri Consultant Ayurvedic Physician
Call us at +91 9945995660 / +91 9448433911