Vata dosha is the main energetic force which helps to keep all body functions in normal condition. When vata gets imbalanced it affects sexual function in men and causes ED or Impotence.
Table of content
What is vata dosha?
Acccording to ayurveda principles the activities of our body are governed by tridoshas . Tridoshas keep our body healthy when they are in balanced condition. Disease is the result of imbalance in these doshas. Tridoshas (three dosha) are vata (Ayurveda Vata Dosha – Body Type and Balancing Tips ), pitta ( Ayurveda Pitta Dosha , Its Types, Pitta Diet ) and kapha ( Kapha Dosha Types, Qualities, Functions and Sites in Ayurveda ). Five mahabhutas pancha mahabhuta ( Pancha Mahabhuta in Ayurveda ) = akasha, vayu, prithvi, jala and agni) combine in pairs to form three dynamic forces called doshas. Vata is made of vayu (air) and aakasha (ether). Pitta is made up of jala and agni (water (Water – the Elixir of Life- An Ayurveda View ) and fire), kapha is made up of jala and prithvi ( water and earth).
As vata dosha is made up of ether and air, it is light (laghu) , dry (rooksha) and moves fast. It needs clear spaces to move. Any obstruction in its path causes vitiation and imbalance of other doshas. Vata carries other two doshas (pitta and kapha) with it and enables them to function normally. Hence when vata is in balanced condition it keeps body healthy.
Vata governs breathing, movement of muscles, tissues, movement of signals in nerves etc. All movements of body fluids, voluntary and involuntary movements, activities of brain, spinal cord and complete nervous system are controlled by vata. Vata is mainly located in large intestines, pelvic cavity, thighs and bones
How erection occurs ?
The two chambers of penis (corpora cavernosa,) which run throught the organ are filled with spongy tissue. The corpora cavernosa are surrounded by a membrane, called the tunica albuginea. The spongy tissue contains smooth muscles, fibrous tissues, spaces, veins, and arteries. The urethra, which is the channel for urine and semen runs along underside of the corpora cavernosa..
Due to sensory or mental stimulation, or both, the erection begins. Due to impulses from brain and local nerves the muscles of corpora cavernosa relax and allow blood to flow in and fill the spaces of spongy tissue.
The flow of blood creates pressure in the corpora cavernosa, making the penis expand. The tunica albuginea helps trap the blood in the chambers, thereby sustaining erection. When muscles in the penis contract to stop the inflow of blood and open outflow channels, erection recedes.
In ayurveda physiology of erection and ejaculation is described as follows.
Vrishunow basthimedram cha naabhyuuru vankshnow gudam|
Apaanasthaanamantrasthaha shukra mootra shakrunti cha||
The “apaanavayu” one of the five types of vayu is located in the testicles, urinary bladder, phallus, umbilicus, thighs, groin, anus and colon. Its functions are ejaculation of semen , voiding of urine and stools”.
Shushruta explains the process of erection and ejaculation as “ When a man has desire (iccha) to have sex, his response to touch increases ( Vayu located in skin causes flow of signals from skin to brain, thus causing sensation of touch). This causes arousal or “harsha” . Arousal or Harsha intensifies actions of vayu and at this moment highly active vayu liberates the “teja “or heat of pitta. Thus tejas and vayu increase body temperature, heart beat and blood flow causing erection
How Erectile Dysfunction occurs ?
Erection requires a sequence of events. Erectile dysfunction (Read Ayurvedic Medicines and Treatment for Erectile Dysfunction ) can occur when any of the events is disturbed. Nerve impulses in the brain, spinal column, around the penis and response in muscles, fibrous tissues, veins, and arteries in and around the corpora cavernosa constitute this sequence of events. Injury to any of these parts which are part of this sequence ( nerves, arteries, smooth muscles, fibrous tissue ) can cause ED.
How vata affects erection ?
As vata governs nervous system , vitiation of vata can disturb flow of impulses from brain to genital organ leading to loss of erection.
Blood flow in arteries is controlled by vata. Any obstruction in arteries like plaques or deposits disturbs blood flow in these tissues thus causing erectile dysfunction ( Erectile Dysfunction Types and Causes As Explained in Ayurveda ).
Injury is a cause for vitiation of vata. Injury to genital organ viatiate vata leading to failure of erection.
Teja or pitta which gets liberated due to action of vata can be correlated to testosterone hormone ( Natural Ayurvedic Ways to Increase Testosterone ). When vata gets vitiated it fails to produce testosterone hormone sufficient to maintain erections.
How vata can be balanced to prevent erectile dysfunction ?
- Maintain a regular routine. Eat at regular intervals, sleep at regular time ( Ayurvedic Remedies, Medicines and Tips for Good Sleep ) and exercise regularly. This is very important to keep vata in balanced condition.
- Massage ( Manifold Wonders of Massage Therapy – In Ayurveda ) your body with herbal oils to reduce vitiation of vata.
- Avoid unnecessary popping of pills.
- Sleep for sufficiently long hours in night and avoid sleeping in day time.
- Say no to junk foods and aerated drinks.
- Stop drugs, tobacco and alcohol. Addiction to these stuffs vitiates vata and can cause irreversible changes.
- Manage stress and anxiety ( Stress and Anxiety Management Through Ayurveda ) by practicing yoga and meditation. Reduced stress level balances vata and prevents erectile dysfunction.
- Use foods such as: warm milk ( Ayurveda Health Benefits and Uses of Milk – Dos and Don’ts ), cream, butter ( Ayurveda Says Butter is Better- Importance of Butter in Ayurveda ), warm soups, stews, hot cereals, fresh baked bread
- Avoid cold foods like cooled drinks, ice creams etc. As cold foods and exposure to cold weather increases vata.
- Deep fried foods like chips, spicy foods vitiate vata. Hence avoid these.
- Obesity or Over weight causes vitiation of vata as fat blocks the channels of vata. Weight reduction is very important to balance vata. There is a relationship between obesity and erectile dysfunction.
(Whats App Dr.Savitha Suri @+ 91 6360108663/ to know more about ayurvedic treatments and remedies )
Call us at +91 9945995660 / +91 9448433911
Whats App + 91 6360108663/