High cholesterol and erectile dysfunction have a delicate link which cannot be neglected. Ayurveda recommends remedies to reduce cholesterol and increase sexual function.
Table of content
Increased cholesterol and Erectile dysfunction
Cholesterol is a fatty ,wax like substance found in our body. Cholesterol is produced by liver and also derived from diet. But cholesterol produced from liver is important as it strengthens cell membrane, helps in production of hormone and vitamin D. The cholesterol in blood stream, which blocks arteries, comes from diet. Increased cholesterol gets accumulated on walls of arteries as hard plaques. This narrows the lumen of arteries.(Diameter of the arteries reduces. ). Due to reduced diameter the blood flow through arteries also gets reduced.
Many researches have shown that high cholesterol causes erectile dysfunction. According to health experts 80 percent of erectile dysfunction, in men aged 30 to 45 occurs because of physiological causes like diabetes, hypertension, obesity and increased cholesterol level. When level of bad cholesterol or LDL increases in blood it forms plaque in arteries and hinder normal blood flow. When the lumens of tiny arteries supplying blood to male organ are blocked by these plaques, the normal flow of blood suffers. Inefficiency in blood supply causes weak erections or no erections. Hence physicians advice to follow healthy diet and lifestyle to keep blood cholesterol under control.
When arteries of penis get blocked it reduces blood flow through penis and reduced blood flow causes erectile dysfunction. The risk of Erectile dysfunction is nearly two times greater in men with total cholesterol levels above 240 than in men with total cholesterol levels below 180 .Erectile dysfunction may be a first indication of increased blood cholesterol level. In men erectile dysfunction may be an early symptom of high cholesterol. Adults should get their blood cholesterol level checked frequently.
Weight loss and reduction in blood cholesterol level help to restore sexual function of men back. Hence ayurveda acharyas recommend healthy lifestyles and diet to prevent blocking of arteries. Various Ayurveda herbal remedies help to rejuvenate liver and reduce blood cholesterol level ( Ayuredic Tips to Reduce Blood Cholesterol ).
Ayurvedic tips for ED and PE due to increased cholesterol
Strictly follow ayurvedic daily routine or Dinacharya and ayurvedic seasonal routine or rutucharya.
Use Low fat Dairy Products :
Dairy products are recommended by ayurveda acharyas to increase libido ( Ayurvedic Treatment to Increase Male Libido ) and keep erectile dysfunction ( What Causes Erectile Dysfunction in Young Men ? An Ayurveda View ) at bay. Consuming low fat dairy products help to reduce blood cholesterol and also increase sexual energy. Butter milk ( Health Benefits of Buttermilk According to Ayurveda ) and zero fat milk ( Ayurveda Health Benefits and Uses of Milk – Dos and Don’ts ) are ideal dairy products to fight both conditions.
Chose meat products carefully:
Texts of ayurveda advice healthy meat diet to prevent erectile dysfunction. Hence avoid fatty cuts of beef, pork, and lamb. Cut off fat and skin from meats and poultry. Reduce portion of meat in your diet.
Include Fruits and Vegetables:
Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. These supply nutrients which keep heart healthy and ensure good supply of blood to male reproductive system. Fruits and vegetables like
- Garlic ( Health Benefits of Garlic in Ayurveda ),
- Watermelon ( Ayurveda Health Benefits of Watermelon ),
- amla (Indian Gooseberry) ( Ayurveda Medicinal Properties and Uses of Amla ),
- Mango ( Benefits and Uses of Mango Fruit, Leaf , Flower , Bark and Seed ),
- Banana ( Banana Ayurveda Medicinal Properties Uses and Benefits ),
- Drumsticks ( Ayurveda Health Benefits of Drumsticks or Moringa ),
- Ashgourd ( Ayurveda Health Benefits of Ash Gourd or Kushmanda (Benincasa Hispida) ),
- Onion ( Ayurveda Health Benefits of Onion ) etc.,
which help in reduction of blood cholesterol, are also eulogized by ayurveda acharyas for their aphrodisiac properties. These are considered as Vajikarana Foods (ayurvedic aphrodisiac foods) ( Vajikarana Foods – Prepare at Home )
Include moderate amount of dry fruits or nuts- .
- Almonds ( Ayurveda Health Benefits of Almonds ),
- Raisins ( Raisins or Dry Grapes Health Benefits According to Ayurveda ),
- Dates ( Ayurveda Health Benefits of Dates or Khajur ) ,
- Walnuts ( Walnuts for Erectile Dysfunction, Sperm and PCOS- Ayurveda View ), etc .,
help to supply good amount of energy and fiber. Little quantity of these fills the stomach and prevent over eating. In Vajikarana Therapy (the chapter which deals with sexual energy and stamina of men) of ayurveda nuts have special place as aphrodisiac ingredients.
Drink plenty of water ( Water – the Elixir of Life- An Ayurveda View ).
Avoid over eating, deep fried foods, saturated fats like palm oil and vanaspati ghee
Exercise well :
The importance of maintaining healthy weight is emphasized by ayurveda acharyas. Vyayama or exercises are recommended to maintain healthy blood supply. Exercises help tremendously to reduce weight and cholesterol. Walking is the best exercise for Impotence ( Benefits of Walking for Men Suffering From Impotence ) and also to reduce blood lipid level. It reduces weight and improves blood circulation
Use Ayurvedic Herbs
There are many precious ayurvedic herbs which help to reduce blood cholesterol and also act as best aphrodisiacs.
- Guggulu ( What are the Health Benefits of Guggul or Guggulu? ) ,
- Giloy or Guduchi ( Ayurveda Health Benefits and Uses of Guduchi or Giloy ) ,
- Ashwagandha (Ayurveda Health Benefits and Uses of Ashwagandha ) ,
- Gokshura ( Ayurveda Health Benefits and Uses of Tribulus Terrestris or Gokshura ),
- Mucuna or Kapikacchu or Velvet bean ( Ayurveda Health Benefits and Uses of Kapikacchu- Mucuna Pruriens ) ,
- Shilajit ( Ayurveda Shilajit for PCOS, Erectile Dysfunction and Weight Loss ) etc are best herbs for this
High cholesterol and erectile dysfunction have a delicate link which cannot be neglected. Hence eat healthy to enjoy a healthy sexual life.
(Whats App Dr.Savitha Suri @+ 91 6360108663/ to know more about ayurvedic treatment for erectile dysfunction due to increased blood cholesterol )
Author : Dr. Savitha Suri Consultant Ayurvedic Physician
Call us at +91 9945995660 / +91 9448433911
Whats App + 91 6360108663/