According to ayurveda ghee improves memory, body energy, skin glow, quality of semen, sexual function, health of eyes, clarity of voice and rejuvenates body.
Table of content
Ghee and oil are widely used in ayurveda system of medicine as mediums to administer herbal preparations. Herbs, pastes of herbs or decoction of herbs are infused in oil or ghee and later administered to patients after diagnosing the conditions and diseases.
Health Benefits and Uses of Ghee – An Ayurveda View
Texts of ayurveda explain health benefits of ghee as follows
Ghee balances pitta dosha and vata dosha. It improves nutrition value of rasa dhatu (lymph) . It boosts quality of shukra dhatu. The aura and Ojas both get enhanced by using ghee regularly. Ghee lubricates joints, muscles, tendons and all body tissues.
Types of ghee in ayurveda
Ayurveda acharyas mention different types of ghees. Among these
- Cow’s milk ghee (ghee prepared from cow’s milk)
- Buffalo’s milk ghee ( ghee prepared from Buffalo’s milk )
Ghee prepared out of cow’s milk is considered to be having medicinal properties and is widely used ayurvedic preparations.
Ayurveda Health Benefits of Cow’s ghee
Cow’s ghee has following properties-
- It boosts memory and concentration.
- Helps in enhancing intelligence.
- Rejuvenates the skin from inside and increases its glow.
- Boosts body energy
- Detoxifies body and a best ayurvedic detox for men.
- Balances vata. (Imbalance of vata causes diseases)
- Increases clarity of voice.
- Balances pitta.
- Nourishes the body
- Improves digestion and increases body fire or agni.
- Strengthens Shukra Dhatu.
- Best ayurvedic medicine for erectile dysfunction
- Increases quality and quantity of semen.
- It is very effective in disorders of eye.
- Acts as a good Rasayana (rejuvenator and anti-ageing)
- It is the best form of fat.
Properties of ghee prepared out of buffalo’s milk
1. Strengthens the body.
2. Makes you feel healthy
3. Increases fairness and glow of skin.
4. Normalizes kapha dosha and vata dosha
5. It is very effective in piles (hemorrhoids), IBS (irritable bowel syndrome),
6. It is used in disorders of eye.
Types based on age of ghee
There are two types of ghee based on its age.
The ghee which has been kept for 10 years is called as “PURANA GHRITA”. It is widely used in treating epilepsy and other neurological disorders.
KUMBHA SARPI or MAHAGHRITA
The ghee which has been stored for more than 100 years is called as “KUMBHA SARPI”. The ghee which is stored more than 100 years is called as “MAHAGHRITA”. Mahaghrita is used in chronic cough and disorders of eye,
Ghee and cholesterol
This is an input from Dr.Shirish Bhate a famous ayurvedic physician
“Indian country cow Ghee reduces cholesterol, does not build it. This is an expereience on several Cardio-Vascular-Disease (CVD) patients. One of them very recently completed 21 km Marathon non-stop in Mumbai, in a slow jogging mood and is now considering going to Himalayan Treks. Cow ghee is also used in Cancer Camps, where all types of secondary cancer patients are being treated by PanchGavya medicines.
Of course the ability of ghee in reducing cholesterol may differ depending on the type of cow and her diet. In some Goushalas experiments are in progress to study correlation between cow diet and resulting PanchaGavya medicines. Different cow breeds have slightly different properties.
In ayurveda, several medicines are prepared by boiling butter along with fresh herbs/herbal powders/extracts since ghee squeezes out all the medicinal properties of herbs, almost equivalent to taking the fresh juice of the herb. Arjun Ghruta is the well known heart toner made in ghee, to cite an example. At least fifty other come to the mind.”
How much ghee is good ?
Ghee dose should typically be 1-2 tsp in every meal, unless directed otherwise.
Free Ayurvedic Consultation
Call us at +91 9945995660 / +91 9448433911
Whats App + 91 6360108663