Changes that occur on skin during psoriasis
It takes 27 days for skin to replace itself with new mature skin cells. But the regions of skin affected by psoriasis the skin replace itself within 3-4 days with plenty of immature skin cells forming thick psoriatic patches.
Self-care for psoriasis
- Avoid all factors which trigger psoriasis.
- Reduce stress levels through meditation and Yoga .
- Do not prick, peel or scratch skin. This may trigger psoriasis.
- After bath or wash pat dry the skin. Do not rub the towel vigorously on skin.
- Avoid soap. Instead use gram flour (besan flour) as soap dries the skin.
- After washing, pat the skin dry, don’t irritate it by rubbing vigorously.
- Apply moisturizing creams liberally on affected areas after
- Opt for cotton clothes over synthetic ones.
Ayurvedic tips for Psoriasis
- Avoid consuming opposite foods.
- Do not suppress natural urges like vomiting, urination, bowel emptying etc.
- Do not take cold water bath immediately after a heavy work out, traveling, a long walk etc.
- Take care not to consume foods which cause indigestion.
- Absolutely do not eat too much of salty (lavana rasa) , sour (amla rasa) or acidic foods.
- Avoid sleeping in daytime.
- Say no to radish, urad dal, sesame, jaggery (gur), curd/ yogurt , fish and other sour foods.
- Always apply besan flour or herbal scrub instead of soap.
- Smear herbal cream which is infused with vata dosha and kapha dosha balancing herbs.
- Keep on applying moisturizing gel or cream continuously to maintain the moisture levels of skin.
How to prepare body scrub for psoriasis
Soap usually dries up body skin by stripping the natural oil of skin. In psoriasis the skin tends to get dried quickly. Hence body scrub made of natural ingredients helps to prevent stripping of natural oil of skin. The natural ingredients of this scrub boost immunity of skin by supplying essential nutrients and aid to remove dead skin and scales in psoriasis.
- Green gram (moong dal)
- Yellow gram (chenna dal)
- Fenu greek seeds (methi seeds)
- Dried neem leaves
Take all the above mentioned ingredients in equal quantities by measure. Grind them to a fine powder. These can be blended in a mixer and then sieved through a thin cotton cloth. Mix 3 tea spoons of this scrub with 6 spoons of water and keep aside for 5 minutes. Scrub the body with this soft soaked homemade scrub while taking bath. Do not use soap when you use this scrub.
READ HINDI ARTICLES ON PSORIASIS