Studies indicate that there is a link between Hypertension or High BP and Erectile Dysfunction. Imbalanced blood flow and pressure along with hypertension medications can cause Impotence in men.
Table of content
What is erectile dysfunction ?
Erectile dysfunction (ED) ( Read Ayurvedic Medicines and Treatment for Erectile Dysfunction ) is the inability of a man to achieve or maintain an erection sufficient for his sexual needs or the needs of his partner. Erectile dysfunction is sometimes called as “impotence”.
The term “erectile dysfunction” can also mean the inability to achieve erection, an inconsistent ability to do so, or the ability to achieve only brief erections.
How Hypertension causes erectile dysfunction ?
Studies and researchers point that there is a link between Hypertension or High BP and Erectile Dysfunction. Many theories attempt to explain this relationship scientifically. Imbalanced blood flow and pressure along with hypertension medications can cause Impotence in men. This link almost resembles the sexual dysfunction which happens due to diabetes (Natural Ayurvedic Remedies for Erectile Dysfunction in Diabetes ) and Coronary heart disease (CAD).
Men with High Blood Pressure usually face erectile dysfunction. Erection requires a sequence of events. Erectile dysfunction can occur when any of the events is disturbed. Nerve impulses in the brain, spinal column, around the penis and response in muscles, fibrous tissues, veins and arteries in and around the corpora cavernosa constitute this sequence of events. Injury to any of these parts which are part of this sequence (nerves, arteries, smooth muscles, fibrous tissue) can cause Erectile Dysfunction.
It is a known fact that High blood pressure injures small arterioles. Researchers argue that this may be happening in penis also. When small blood vessels of penis get damaged, body tries to repair them. In this process the scar tissues may form on blood vessels reducing the elasticity of penile arteries. This hinders blood flow to spongy tissues of penis. When men have High blood pressure, the blood flow to male genital organ gets impaired due to damage to arterioles and scarred tissue. This leads to weak erection or partial erection which hinders sexual activity of men.
Apart from this High blood pressure affects Hormone balance and nitric acid levels. This may lead to erectile dysfunction. Few claim that erectile dysfunction is caused due to side effects of anti hypertensive medications used by patients.
Hypertension or High Blood Pressure and ED an Ayurveda View
According to principles of Ayurveda, Hypertension is caused due to imbalance of Vata dosha (Ayurveda Vata Dosha – Body Type and Balancing Tips ) and pitta dosha (Ayurveda Pitta Dosha , Its Types, Pitta Diet ).
When Vata gets imbalanced it imbalances its 5 subtypes (Vyana, Udana, Samana, Prana, Apaana ). Erection happens when apaanavayu gets stimulated through various factors like sparsha (touch), gandha (pleasant scent), erotic talks etc. It gets associated with tejas (heat of pitta) to cause erection. In Hypertension Erectile dysfunction appears when main vata dosha imbalances apanavayu and pitta .
Ayurvedic Home remedies for Erectile Dysfunction due to Hypertension
There are many causes which are common to hypertension or high BP and erectile dysfunction. Here are home remedies for these causes which help in both.
Keep stress at Bay
Stress causes Impotence (Stress and Erectile dysfunction or Impotence ) and high BP. Ayurvedic Management of stress and anxiety is very important in this condition. Reserve 1 hour a day exclusively for you to destress. Practice YOGA, Meditation, Pranayama (deep breathing exercise), gardening, singing, dancing etc which help to reduce stress.
Say no to addictions
Avoid consumption of tobacco, alcohol and other intoxicants. Stop smoking as smoking aggravates Erectile dysfunction (Relation Between Smoking and Erectile Dysfunction in Men ). These addictions impair body function and prevent body to heal itself.
Watch your weight
There is a direct link between obesity and hypertension. It is very important to maintain your weight in optimum level. If you are busy follow weight loss tips (How to Lose Weight Fast – An Ayurveda Way ) which suit your busy schedule.
Consume healthy ayurvedic diet
Always watch what you eat when you have high BP and ED. Follow an ayurveda diet (What is Diet in Ayurveda ? ) which suits your prakruti or constitution. Reduce intake of salt. You can take small quantities of Rock Salt or Sendha Namak (Ayurveda Health benefits of Rock salt or Sendha namak ). Include spices like
- garlic (Health Benefits of Garlic in Ayurveda ),
- honey (Ayurveda Health Benefits and Uses of Honey ),
- onion (Ayurveda Health Benefits of Onion ) ,
- Amla (Ayurveda Medicinal Properties and Uses of Amla ) ,
- turmeric (Ayurveda Health Benefits of Turmeric (Haldi) ) , which balance both vata and pitta. Avoid red meat, eggs and cholesterol (Increased Cholesterol and Erectile Dysfunction – Ayurveda Treatment ) increasing foods.
Exercising regularly has many benefits. It helps in weight loss, boosts blood circulation, reduces stress and improves heart health. A brisk walk (Benefits and Advantages of Daily Brisk Walking) for 45 minutes daily helps to control hypertension and also boosts sexual function.
Follow Ayurvedic Routines
Never control natural urges of body. Ayurveda strictly instructs to not to control 13 natural urges of body. Here is the list of 13 natural body urges which should not be controlled.
It is very important to sleep well to control hypertension and also to get rid of erectile dysfunction. A continuous uninterrupted sleep for 8 hours definitely helps. Follow ayurvedic remedies for good sound sleep.
Use Ayurvedic Herbs
There are many ayurvedic herbs which help to manage hypertension . Here is the list of these herbs
- Ashwagandha – Withania somnifera (Ayurveda Health Benefits and Uses of Ashwagandha ) – Use it as ashwagandha milk or moon milk
- Amalaki or amla – Emblica officinalis –
- Bala – Sida cordifolia (Ayurveda Medicinal properties of Bala (Sida Cordifolia) )
- Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri)
- Shankapushpi (Convolvulus pluricaulis) (Ayurveda Health Benefits and Uses of Shankhpushpi )
- Ash gourd – winter melon Kushmanda (Ayurveda Health Benefits of Ash Gourd or Kushmanda (Benincasa Hispida) )
- Jatamansi (Nardostachys jatamansi)
- Gotu kola – Mandukaparni (Centella asiatica) (Ayurveda health benefits of Manduka Parni (Centella Asiatica)-gotu kola)
- Giloy – Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia) (Ayurveda Health Benefits and Uses of Guduchi or Giloy )
- Celery – Apium graveolens
- Bishop’s weed – Carum Capticum (Ajawain)
- Colius forskohlii (Karpurvali)
- Carrot – Daucus carota (Carrots and Carrot Juice for Men Health )
- Flaxseed / Linseed – Linum usitatissimum
- Tomato – Lycopersicon esculentum (Tomato Health Benefits and Ayurveda )
- Drumstick – Moringa oleifera (Shigru) (Ayurveda Health Benefits of Drumsticks or Moringa )
- Tulsi – Holy Basil – Ocimum basilicum (Ayurveda Health Benefits and Uses of Tulsi (Ocimum Sanctum ))
- Bhumi Amla – Phyllanthus niruri
- Pomegranate – Punica granatum (The Power Packed Pomegranate-An Ayurveda View )
- Radish – Raphanus sativus
- Sesame – Sesamum indicum (Ayurveda Health Benefits of Sesame Seeds and Oil )
- Triticum aestivum – Wheat bran
- Vitex doniana – Black plum
- Ginger – Zingiber officinale (Ayurveda Health Benefits of Ginger )
Undergo Panchakarma Treatments
Panchakarma therapy (Ayurveda Panchakarma Treatment – A Detoxification Therapy ) or ayurvedic detoxification therapy helps to manage both High BP and Impotence.
Consult Dr.Savitha Suri for ayurvedic remedies. Email [email protected] . WhatsApp + 91 6360108663
Author : Dr. Savitha Suri Consultant Ayurvedic Physician
Free Ayurvedic Consultation
Call us at +91 9945995660 / +91 9448433911
Whats App + 91 6360108663/