Erectile dysfunction (ED) is the inability of a man to achieve or maintain an erection sufficient for his sexual needs or the needs of his partner. Erectile dysfunction is sometimes called as “impotence”.
The term “erectile dysfunction” can mean the inability to achieve erection, an inconsistent ability to do so, or the ability to achieve only brief erections.
Men with High Blood Pressure usually face erectile dysfunction. Erection requires a sequence of events. Erectile dysfunction can occur when any of the events is disturbed. Nerve impulses in the brain, spinal column, around the penis and response in muscles, fibrous tissues, veins and arteries in and around the corpora cavernosa constitute this sequence of events. Injury to any of these parts which are part of this sequence (nerves, arteries, smooth muscles, fibrous tissue) can cause Erectile Dysfunction.
Many researchers link Hypertension or High blood pressure with Erectile Dysfunction. Many theories attempt to explain this relationship scientifically. It is a known fact that High blood pressure injures small arterioles.
Researchers argue that this may be happening in penis also. When small blood vessels of penis get damaged, body tries to repair them. In this process the scar tissues may form on blood vessels reducing the elasticity of penile arteries. This hinders blood flow to spongy tissues of penis.
Apart from this High blood pressure affects Hormone balance and nitric acid levels. This may lead to erectile dysfunction. Few claim that erectile dysfunction is caused due to side effects of anti hypertensive medications used by patients.
According to principles of Ayurveda, Hypertension is caused due to imbalance of Vata and pitta. When Vata gets imbalanced it imbalances its 5 subtypes (Vyana, Udana, Samana, Prana, Apaana ). Erection happens when apaanavayu gets stimulated through various factors like sparsha (touch), gandha (pleasant scent), erotic talks etc. It gets associated with tejas (heat of pitta) to cause erection. In Hypertension Erectile dysfunction appears when apanavayu and pitta get vitiated.
Ayurveda Home remedies to Reduce Hypertension
- Reduce stress level. Reserve 1 hour a day exclusively for you to destress.
- Avoid consumption of tobacco, alcohol and other intoxicants. Stop smoking as smoking aggravates Erectile dysfunction
- Pay attention for weight reduction. Adhere to suitable weight loss program. (check for ayurveda weight loss remedies)
- Reduce salt intake.
- Include Garlic, lemon, parsley, honey, onions, amla in your diet.
- Exercise regularly. 45 minutes of brisk walk is very useful.
- Avoid red meat, eggs and cholesterol increasing foods.
- Yoga, Meditation and Pranayama help to control blood pressure and normalize body secretions. These helps to balance the body.
- Avoid Vata vitiating foods which are deep fried, dry , cold and spicy.
- Keep blood pressure under control with medications prescribed by your family physician and consume them regularly.