The locally exhibited symptoms are explained in ayurveda as follows
” Manya prishta kati jaanu trika sandheenvikunchayan |
Sashabdaha srastagaatrashcha aamavaataha sauchyate || “
This means the joints of neck ( manya ) , back ( prishta ) , hip ( kati ) , knee ( jaanu ) , sacral region ( trika ) and other joints get inflamed. The joint movements are often accompanied with sounds . This disease which also makes body weak is known as amavata .
Local Symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis are
- Inflammation of joints.
- Swelling .
- Difficulty in moving .
- Pain .
- Usually starts in hands and feet.( wrist and hand joints)
- Can also affect neck, shoulders, knees, hips and ankles.
- Some times affects the same joints of both sides of body.
- Rheumatoid nodules.
- Chronic RA may cause a damage to affected joints.
Systemic symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis are
- Loss of energy.
- Loss of appetite.
- General fatigue (early symptom)
- Other boy organs may be affected
According to ayurveda the Systemic symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis are described as follows.
Angamarda aruchi trishna aalasyam gouravam jwaraha |
Apaakaha shoonataangaanam amavatasya laxanam ||
This means ” the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis are
- Body pain ( angamarda )
- Distaste to food (aruchi )
- Thirst. ( trishna )
- Malaise. ( aalasya)
- Fever. ( jwara )
- Indigestion. ( apaaka )
- Weakness ( shoonata )”